Engine Flush

Ok so i am doing another oil change on the 90 300tdi as i like to do it about every 8 months ( dont do alot of mileage).

Question is what to use to flush the last of the oil through/out?.... preferably cheap, is good and wont harm the engine.

Cheers Andy 

Personally I've never bothered, just get the engine up to temperature, bit of a run and then drain it straight away, leave it for a while to finish dripping.

Otherwise add a couple of litres of diesel to the engine oil to thin it, run it for long enough to ensure it's well mixed in before draining.

If you warm it up on a drive then by the time you get your tools out on return it will long be fully drained down to the sump. Flows out much easier when warm, just watch for burns if it’s really hot.

I generally let it drain while I grease the props, unless it’s windy and I have to cut short the dribble to save it going everywhere. 

10 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I generally let it drain while I grease the props, unless it’s windy and I have to cut short the dribble to save it going everywhere. 

Might be an idea to talk to your GP about the dribbling, James 😉

Mo

When faced with an engine that's a bit claggy and the history-of-oil-changes is unknown, I've lobbed a litre of ATF [it's got lots of detergency] into the filler then taken it for an "Italian Tune-up".

Which basically means lots of full-throttle-and-revving-it-to-the-limiter-before-changing-up stuff. You want to get the engine really-stinking-hot [and if it won't handle screaming at 60MPH-in-3rd foot-to-the-floor and hard on the revlimiter for a 5-mile blast down the local dual-carriageway it's an engine-with-other-issues anyway].

Then drive home and drain the oil. Watch out - it should be 90 Centigrade-plus-plus when it comes out. But it'll bring out with it any accumulated grot/varnish/black-crud.

My 90TD5 turns its oil black after about 3000 miles. I'm happy to run to 12,000/1-year as the service-interval. EGR-disable/bypass helps prevent the oil going prematurely black.

Edited by Tanuki

I try and do an oil change at least every 8 months, i dont do alot of mileage bout 4000 a year tops. But oil is always black, and has been in every motor that i've done an oil change, just took it as the norm. Or is that not the case ie if alls good in there it should retain some of its colour? Motor runs sweet enough