Electrical problems 300 tdi 1995 vehicle

Hi, recently bought a 1995 defender with a 300 TDi engine. It does have some electrical problems though, as follows. It has a push button start, which the previous owner said was an Immobilier, so when you turn the key you then have to press this button to start it. Works ok though but I have no lights at all in the ignition, no main beam or indicators and no wipers or radio. The side lights work as does the heater and the horn. The previous owner said it all worked fine but thinks the alternator is faulty, does this sound right. I have ordered a few relays just to check this and will try them soon but could it be the alternator? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Go through the fuse box & ensure each fuse is intact [replace as required] & test that each fuse holder has 12v feed in & is allowing the power to go out to each circuit, a test bulb with 2 wires soldered on & probes or croc clips should so if there is 12v across each set of terminals. 

as for the ignition on a push button sounds like the previous owner has bypassed the immobiliser system.

I have just changed the 3 large fuses (60amp x 2 and 30amp x 1)in the fuse box in the engine bay, even though they looked ok, that’s not the problem as no different, I have also checked them for 12v supply and they are all ok. As I said in my initial post someone had said the alternator, could this be right?

I can't see how the alternator wouldn't affect everything. There are some junctions on the bulkhead under the air filter, they might benefit from inspection, but best way is to pick something like the headlights and track it through, so try taking off the steering column shroud and see if you have power in and out the light switch, then the dipswitch, then the fuses and so on

I think you will find that the alternator puts charge/power back into the battery.....The battery puts power to the electrical equipment via the fuse. Usually!?!

As yours is a push button start do any other wires come off this? If so might be worth tracing them and check connections are ok plus check your earth, this is often a missed simple fix.

The live to the ignition controlled fuses comes through the ign. module at the other end of the key so it could be module failure or the wire has come off , it's a bit odd that the FIP solenoid is live as that is ign. controlled too , obviously.

cheers

Steve b

Pink relay is for dim dip headlights, if yours is dead it won't give you normal dipped headlight, you can disable dim dip by making/fitting a jumper wire to the relay socket to connect the 2 blue/red wires together. it won't affect any other circuit. 

As an update, with some progress. Found out the car had an Immobilier fitted on a start button, the button wired direct to the starter solenoid and battery. Car started every time, vesy easily but could not solve the electrical problems I had, so I decided to remove the Immobilier  and put the connections on the ignition barrel back to standard. The good news is that the electrical problems are solved, the bad news is that the car now won’t start using the key, it turns over but won’t fire up, whereas previously you turned the key and pressed the button and it burst into life. I removed the Immobilier and all wiring but could there still be something stopping  the car from starting or what else could it be if it now only turns over  but previously worked fine?

Check that you have re-connected the fuel cut-off solenoid. This is located on the fuel injection pump and is a single wire connected to an ignition controlled supply (white wire I think) off the ignition switch.

Edit: I should add that if your vehicle has an alarm / immobiliser then it's a little more complex and the solenoid isn't fed directly but from the immobiliser system. You could eliminate this to test by temporarily wiring direct to it.

Edited by Peaklander

Ah you'll soon be able to drive it and brake it properly!....... Then there will be times it will brake for no rhyme or reason, spring leaks, whipers come on when you change gear, door wont shut and so on and on it goes!!! Oh the joys of owning a Land Rover! 🤣🤣