The filter relocation kit makes little difference in this application as the housing still fits pretty low. The vbelt front end sticks out further but you can bolt a different plate to the filter housing to move that but at the cost of more pulleys. As Bowie says, the serp front end is the nicest, cleanest, best oil pump and most compact but you cant do much about that filter8B8EA160-D02E-47A0-AA91-AD11B126F1B1.jpeg.f065940df8bc2db5e8d2befe78a6ab99.jpeg

i forget where I got it(possibly @FridgeFreezer) but there is and oiling diagram for the rv8 kicking around somewhere. I remember looking at it thinking about cutting the housing off ant tapping direct into the ports and running a remote filter that way.

none of this takes away from the fact there is no short v8 gearbox, and the overall length is longer than the tdi so it’s kindof a moot point.

i know your hurting for space and you’ve done a really nice job on that bulkhead but maybe you can afford to move the engine and box 1/4”-1/2” up and back which would buy a bit of space 

28 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Watch out with the heavy stuff.... my old workshop manager was moving house and dropped a Record 23 on his foot.... whilst wearing flip flops :ph34r:

Yeah, much more a tinkering day today, got some MS stuff to do, and engine prep, but nothing involving lifting, unlike yesterday when I was shifting LT230s around by hand 😛

1 hour ago, dangerous doug said:

none of this takes away from the fact there is no short v8 gearbox, and the overall length is longer than the tdi so it’s kindof a moot point. 

How much longer is the V8 box? Could you do defender spec short LT77 with an adaptor? (or the stumpy R380 - for more wallet bashing)

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

How much longer is the V8 box? Could you do defender spec short LT77 with an adaptor? (or the stumpy R380 - for more wallet bashing)

It will be wallet bashing. We’ve spoken about the stumpy v8 box before but you’ll still need to mess about with spigot bush and input shafts as the v8 is different. Anything can be done with enough enthusiasm and violence

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

With results I hope😂

Yes with results, engine mounts tacked on and gearbox held in position with crane, bulkhead also clears just, but I think it needs to come forward a tad, when that happens it will get better

20220812_125637.thumb.jpg.fbe74946b1331d3b84eb82dba0892e2e.jpg

20220812_125642.thumb.jpg.ddb112e0abde3127de48d99b9e36124e.jpg

20220812_125652.thumb.jpg.0f05af95e8c0e2938a82f8a5e47ab2c9.jpg

20220812_125702.thumb.jpg.46f6ce799d55919a57b99c8d0442dbcd.jpg

20220812_130151.thumb.jpg.0621cb66185245723e932e90f7da18b9.jpg

Regards Stephen 

Here's some food for thought

20220812_133759.thumb.jpg.80ec19f0d8f2548ffc8693d6d1ddd6da.jpg

That's 3 tonne of sustained pressure, Jack handle very hard close to going to second stage, no way these are going to go flat unless they are in very poor condition

Thoughts please regards Stephen 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Here's some food for thought

20220812_133759.thumb.jpg.80ec19f0d8f2548ffc8693d6d1ddd6da.jpg

That's 3 tonne of sustained pressure, Jack handle very hard close to going to second stage, no way these are going to go flat unless they are in very poor condition

Thoughts please regards Stephen 

No but they could split and move aside......just saying. :SVAgoaway:

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

No but they could split and move aside......just saying. :SVAgoaway:

Mike

They might but in my 30 plus years of off roading I've never seen or heard of it, the reality is lots of things can happen, unexplained things can happen, you can plan for most but not all, we all take chances pushing our vehicles, the best we can do is regular maintenance and thorough checks

Bump stops might split with age, but if they do I have not been looking after my vehicle and will deserve the consequences

Regards Stephen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

3t doesn't seem like much compared to a heavy landing of probably 2t of vehicle.... does it?

Where's @simonr when you need him!

I get what your saying but any heavy landing is only going to impact Bump stops very briefly, if it's that bad you will probably damage the chassis ( ask me how I know ) I had the bumpstop compressed for nearly two minutes and sprung back to shape no problem, might have to do a destruction test for more info..lol regards Stephen

On 8/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, dangerous doug said:

I need to repair my light weight bulkhead but it’s probably as much work to make another one so this is defenatly an avenue for me to look into 😂

@dangerous doug are you planning on making in aluminium or mild steel regards Stephen

5 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

@dangerous doug are you planning on making in aluminium or mild steel regards Stephen

Juries out on that one mate. Had a little chat with @landroversforever last night and it seems like it’ll be a slippery slope if I make an ali one…because I won’t stop.That said The weight saving is massive and hard to ignore, your ali one is 20kg lighter than a series 3 bulkhead….even if the lightweight one is actually lighter, which I doubt (but if it is it’s negligible), and it’s a 15kg saving it’s massive. Why you ask?

31 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

Juries out on that one mate. Had a little chat with @landroversforever Why you ask?

Curious

I can do the hinge panels and gearbox tunnel bit anytime in Aluminium . Will have a shot at the hinge panels in mild steel at Some point soon regards Stephen

20 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Not planning on jumping out of a plane.........lol

Regards Stephen

Fair enough, just the consequences are quite catastrophic, unless you have 200TDIs just sitting around. 

I tried doing some calcs, but the springs and dampers make the whole things very, very complicated!

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I tried doing some calcs, but the springs and dampers make the whole things very, very complicated!

I dig how you incorporate science into it, way too technical for my brain..

I just go with my gut feeling, if I used science I probably wouldn't be so heavy duty...

Regards Stephen

6 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

They might but in my 30 plus years of off roading I've never seen or heard of it, the reality is lots of things can happen, unexplained things can happen, you can plan for most but not all, we all take chances pushing our vehicles, the best we can do is regular maintenance and thorough checks

Bump stops might split with age, but if they do I have not been looking after my vehicle and will deserve the consequences

Regards Stephen

I was only making the point that you've already allowed for with your lowered bump stops.