Regarding the bumpstops.... how did you set the positions of the top and bottom of the shocks? If you take the bump stops out (springs too for ease) and lift the axle up to the chassis you'll see when the shocks are bottomed out. Normally it's a good idea to mount the shocks fully closed with no bumpstops and the axles metal-to-metal against the chassis. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Normally it's a good idea to mount the shocks fully closed with no bumpstops and the axles metal-to-metal against the chassis. 

This is what happened  ^^^^

If you remember I had a few issues with fitting the engine and box due to physical size of front diff and axle, engine could not be moved far enough over to the left, the problem was cured with fitting extended bump stops and extensions. Probably a compromise in hindsight, realistically I lack the offroad  knowledge involved with building a good off road vehicle, most of my build has been a gut feeling that it feels right and obviously excellent contributions and advice from your good selves.

If lack of uphill travel becomes an issue, I will as mentioned previously, try the +2" springs first. Lack of uphill travel or not this is just a toy, if it was a competition vehicle it would be a different matter

The proof of the pudding will be at  Summer Sisters, who knows, it may fall apart, the welded diffs might give way or I might get over a few obstacles with ease and have no breakages, one thing for sure we will find out this month if it is capable of not, if it is the latter then it will be back to the drawing board....lol

Regards Stephen

• Like 4

Sorry Stephen, I missed tagging whoever asked about the bumpstop.

I lost a spring at Seven sisters a (good) few years back when it missed the relocation cone and damaged the retainer. There was a handy rock for making enough suspension movement to pop it back in :lol:

What's the spring rate like on the shorter springs? Not to stiff and come from some fast-road type setup? Off the top of my head a standard Defender has about 80mm travel to the bumpstop.

11 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Sorry Stephen, I missed tagging whoever asked about the bumpstop.

I lost a spring at Seven sisters a (good) few years back when it missed the relocation cone and damaged the retainer. There was a handy rock for making enough suspension movement to pop it back in :lol:

What's the spring rate like on the shorter springs? Not to stiff and come from some fast-road type setup? Off the top of my head a standard Defender has about 80mm travel to the bumpstop.

Might that rock be down at the washing machine area which is now sadly closed.....

Steve

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Hadn't planned on it, they need a good clean up, however if I have room I might bring them, it's not like I need to pack spring compressors is it.......

20230609_100610.thumb.jpg.4234651845c67a2f5d1dc99371e48034.jpg

Regards Stephen

You might not need spring compressors but you do need a crane...

Offer still stands of tools / workshop stuff from me, e.g. got a set of compressors if you do desperately need them.

5 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Hadn't planned on it, they need a good clean up, however if I have room I might bring them, it's not like I need to pack spring compressors is it.......

20230609_100610.thumb.jpg.4234651845c67a2f5d1dc99371e48034.jpg

Regards Stephen

Well they won't take up much space, and cab swapped over wholesale in about half an hour... As long as we have a tree. 

• Like 1

Just to keep @Bowie69 happy been wiring my lockers in, it's not the tidiest as I've moved from original position, but after a bit of head scratching I've sussed it out, working now although not piped in yet

Mess of wires

20230609_173942.thumb.jpg.8d6c77067706a5b16611f4e93c03a557.jpg

Tesa taping heavy duty power cables

20230609_184340.thumb.jpg.f015235e6c5621d8b8650cab84e15147.jpg

better but not great

20230609_190316.thumb.jpg.41444261c9201b197db41d3661e62ebb.jpg

20230609_191011.thumb.jpg.399f379d84e3dcd08022f045082c1b6a.jpg

20230609_191018.thumb.jpg.8118de463f91eb25ae8ea2da205fe85b.jpg

head hurting now....

regards Stephen 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Just been to see about getting them plastic coated but guy got full books until end of August 

Regards Stephen 

Bring them anyway, at the end of the weekend you will know which set you are keeping and can powder coat appropriately. 

Or are you worried about aesthetics?