Roof top tent cover replacement?

Scotts90

My roof tent cover has seen better years, I've tried the uk importer of the tent with no joy...they say they're still waiting on the manufacturer getting back to them but it's been a month now. At approx 1.3m square x 0.25m high it's an odd size compared to the competitors (that would have been too easy :rolleyes:). It's an Echo4x4, made in South Africa which seems to be quite a popular point of origin, their website isn't much help either.

Anyone used a "bespoke" cover manufacturer or know a tent repairer that could make one up? My fall back option is a howling moon one at 1.4m tweaked to fit.

Sailmakers etc. are likely to charge a premium price - they know their market, yacht-owners don't tend to be poor.

Better to find somewhere more used to dealing with trucks/trailers/commercial vehicles: I'm thinking that the plastic-coated stuff used on 'curtainsider' artic trailers might be the sort of thing you're after.

I have a friend who makes lovely stuff out of canvas, I'll PM you some details if you like?  He made me a cover for my sankey last week out of an army surplus tent that was half torn to pieces. Has all the tools for doing the eyelets etc. 

IMG_20180705_181655.jpg

Thanks for the offer, I've ordered one online from a cover maker....which can only be best described as a sandpit cover but made from nice heavy lorry tarp. It's not expensive so should do until I hear back from the manufacturers (not holding ones breath :rolleyes:)

The company I contacted was Kustom Covers and they've been more than helpful. I sent through the dimensions as requested and got a quote of £49 to create a standard cover but as I had explained it wasn't actually a sandpit cover but for a rooftent they asked for some pics and details. Turns out they are willing to recreate the OE cover with the Velcro corner tabs and top buckle straps so I'm just waiting on an amended quote as its a bit more complex than first quoted. 

I will update as things progress ;)

• Like 1

Got a finished quote for £148 incl Vat and delivery. A remarkable hike from the original price but given they are having to hand stitch in the buckles and Velcro corner tabs it's a bit more labour intensive than a standard "box". It'll take a couple of weeks to get made so when it arrives I'll get some pics up. 

It would have cost similar money to purchase the howling moon cover which wasn't going to be a straight fit.

• 2 months later...

Well, owing to production mix ups, then the courier losing the first cover and having to get a second manufactured I've eventually got the replacement. I did spec it slightly deeper and the straps are now buckles rather than Velcro...easy to alter tho.image.thumb.jpeg.a1dc5f72d331c3d2faa98390a55384e0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.95182be21c2cd3fe0392f381b0be24e9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e8bbf4b39fef6106aa9b05056d7da772.jpeg

It should smooth out a bit as it was tightly rolled up for delivery.

image.jpeg

• Like 1