Correct Swivel Pin housing

110 parts book shows original as FRC2644 for the swivel ball, my 110 is same year as yours.

item 6 page 414 in http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf

this one supersedes FRC2644 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/86665/0/swivel_pin_housing___defender___discovery_1___range_rover_classic

Yes mine were replaced a few years ago with the teflon coated version, I believe mine were genuine LR at around 220 quid each, fitted by the garage I used to take my 110 for servicing.

new chromed haven't been available for a few years due to EU legislation on chroming process/use.

the link you posted in latest reply looks to be a coated housing just going on the colour.

• Thanks 1

Wow, £220 each. I'm going to go for the £65 Bearmach ones and cross my fingers. The picture does look like it is coated with something but for £65 this might just be a stock image. We'll see.

I fitted new seals 3 years ago and just buffed up the old swivel housings to remove some damage from corrosion. I'm amazed the seals have lasted this long if I'm honest considering it was a bit of bodge job just to stop the leaks with out forking out for new swivel housings.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

I'll be pleased if the £65 Bearmach swivels are teflon coated for the price, I'll let you know! I've had good and bad with things out of blue boxes. For seals I know they are no good. I too have gone for the Corteco seals.

If a part isn't safety critical and is quite easy to take on and off again I will admit that I do go for Britpart. I think I've only ever sent one thing back because it was not up to the job (I can't remember what it was now) and hats off to Paddocks for sorting it out quickly with no fuss. I do remember fitting a cheap rear crank seal that held for 30 seconds or even less before oil came gushing out. After much frustration, swearing and taking the engine out again I replaced it with a genuine seal and not a drop came out. Lesson learnt🙄

As with a lot of jobs on a Land Rover, there is a "short cut" 

Remove the track rods, remove the brake calipers, drain the swivels housings, unfasten the 7(?) bolts which fasten the swivel housing to the axle, remove the entire hub assembly complete with half shaft, remove seal, remove top and bottom swivel pins, remove swivel, reassemble, refit and exhibit smug grin.

The trickiest bit is getting the longer half shaft to re-engage in the differential. I did both of mine, out on the front street, in less than a day by using this method

Edited by neil110
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - I did the long method on the near side and then tried the above suggestion on the off side. It was very fast on the strip down (just have to be prepared for the weight of the whole hub assembley). I encountered a problem though on the rebuild - I couldn't put the lower swivel pin in as the brake disk was in the way and it is hard to see what you are doing, so I stripped down the hub assembley to put the lower pin in and the housing back on the swivel.

I took photos of this method if anyone thinks it might be helpful in the future unless it is well covered ground already?

Actually I have just found this in the technical archive if anyone is interested.

I will put a couple of pctures up though of my knackered chrome swivel bearing housings. Also it was not easy to put the new lower bearing into the new swivel bearing housing. In the end I put the new swivel bearing housing in the oven for 20 minutes then tapped in the bearing with a soft faced mallett.

I did exactly that as an extra measure but I imagine it heated up within a couple of seconds of placing it into the housing before I could tap it in. I was quite surprised by how long the swivel housings held the heat.