Fastening an engine to an engine stand

Sabre

I am busy overhauling my 300TDi engine, and have fastened the block to an engine stand. The 4 fastening points (at the flywheel side of the block) are 10mm threaded bar. All 4 screwed in at least half-an-inch. Would those 4 points be sufficient to carry a fully assembled engine ? With the block hanging from the stand, those 4 x 10mm studs look rather thin to me

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

It should hold it but if it’s like my stand you’ll need to prop the front as I found out with my 200tdi , and there’s no way you’ll turn it unless you’ve got a big posh industrial job .

I am looking at a front support. However, I am concerned about turning a fully assembled engine when the support is removed.

I greased the pivot point and manages to turn the engine block around fairly easily with the handle that came with the stand

2 hours ago, western said:

I bought some M10 threaded rod & big washers & M10 nuts & used them to secure my 200Tdi block to the borrowed engine stand. photo's below. :i-m_so_happy:

WP_20171030_16_40_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_41_12_Pro.jpg

Exactly the way I fastened my engine block. I am happy to see your engine still on the stand with the crank and pistons in place 😉

I also have the same type of stand; pity one can't assemble the clutch with the engine mounted on the stand

12 hours ago, Sabre said:

I am looking at a front support. However, I am concerned about turning a fully assembled engine when the support is removed.

I greased the pivot point and manages to turn the engine block around fairly easily with the handle that came with the stand

The engine stand I used for my 19J (has an iron head so is heavier than a Tdi) did flex but I think they are designed to. I would not contemplate turing the engine with the head on as it might whip round and hurt you, plus it would be a bugger of a job to turn it back upright. Once the head was off it was fine to turn on the stand.

DSCN1072.JPG

I've got a couple, one a Clarke and the other from SGS engineering, they will both hold fully assembled engines using the same methods as described. At the moment my td5 complete engine is on the SGS one...and yes rotating it is not easy on the stand as they are top heavy...so once it's going it could do some damage. Add that to the height from pivot may mean they won't go 180°. The td5 won't go all the way around and it's very heavy to get upright again.

The one I used looked very much like it was designed to flex as the pivot was not horizonal until it had the weight of the engine applied to it. In terms of height, they hold the engine at a nice height to work on. When rebuilding, work on the bottom half first to get the crank etc sorted, turn it 90' and slide the pistons in then turn a further 90' and work on the top end. Once the head is on there should be no need to turn the engine 180'...... unless you have dropped a nut or screw inside the engine 🤪