Overland caravan build

glad it wasn't more than a flesh wound ,i learnt the same lesson when i left school to work as a steel fabricator although mine needed stitches and was close to slicing a vein in my wrist
i always try to hold a piece so if it does grab it doesn't get me and anything small i clamp

it's easy to happen and i find on the piller drill its often as you bring the drill back up
the spring on our quill mill has gone and finding a spare is prooving to be hard work so extra caution is required at present

Well we popped round on Saturday to give Mike's work the once-over and administer jaffa cakes - have to say the trailer is looking very neat and the design is great.

Knowing the process Mike's been through - trying every other form of camping on the way to arriving at this design - the experience really shows, and this is incorporating a lot of lessons learned. I like it a lot as a solution.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Knowing the process Mike's been through - trying every other form of camping on the way to arriving at this design - the experience really shows, and this is incorporating a lot of lessons learned. I like it a lot as a solution.

I think he experience last year on Uist was the turning point. Taking several hours to pack everything up, drive to the ferry to be told it couldn't go because of weather. Then having to drive back to his mother-in-laws and decide do we unpack everything, set it up again or just deal with sleeping in a small corridor so we don't spend the whole time unpacking and re-packing the vehicle. About the same time they were in Uist we were in the Highlands and had wild-camped on a sandy beach on a river bank and, especially with a 4 year old, sand was absolutely everywhere. There were a couple of trailers with the clients, one being a US spec Opus camper imported from Oz and one a custom made one. Chatting with Mike at length about camper trailers / caravans etc., he pointed out no-one builds a camper / caravan set-up for British weather, basically they need a porch where you can leave mucky / wet stuff without trekking it inside the living area.

I've been a bit slack this week due to a slight run on the injury side of things. I've managed to burn the entire outside of my lower left leg (ankle to knee). Some extractor dust at work caught and flash burned, unfortunately my leg was in the way. So after some 1st aid, a trip to both A&E and then the doctor's it's slowed me down a little. It's all dressed and hopefully on the mend.

Meanwhile I've got the bunk frames in.

IMG_20230810_185019.thumb.jpg.9c5054def03ba0c7727d7fd1ebe71db3.jpg

Tonight I've got the bunk bases in place.

IMG_20230811_194512.thumb.jpg.963fe95ceec872c2aaec2b53285ae818.jpg

The aluminium is more recycled metalwork from the box originally and the bases are 12mm birch ply. Upper will be fixed, lower will be removable.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've got some goldspar varnish for the interior wood work it's satin finish and goes on really nicely. Not the cheapest but we use it at work so I know it's good. The toilet area will have thin fibreglass panels to create essentially a wet room.

Mike

• Like 2

Not even close. It does look like we'll have beds for Silverstone though.

Got two of the blinds fitted last night and this morning I foam filled the channel in two of the insulated panels (left by the joint of another panel that I removed) that I'm going to use to section off the kitchen area inside.

IMG_20230816_070609.thumb.jpg.e2614e42d733ce402682ae036a032400.jpg

Trim back and glass tonight.

Mike

• Like 2

Took the boards for the double bed to work so I could trim one down and extend all of them width ways. I've machined a rabbet in them to create a halving joint, I then glued it up with epoxy.

IMG_20230816_191930.thumb.jpg.fdbace06bda758f48d0152fad6905d8e.jpg

None of my clamps are long enough so weighted them down. Also glassed up the foamed joint on the insulated panels.

Mike

• Like 1

The insulated panels are now in position under the bed these will support the frame and insulate the kitchen area from the interior. I want to mount the spare wheel over the drawbar, since the wheels are lr stud pattern and I have two lr spare wheel carriers one is the stud type the other is the pressed steel type. The trailer wheels are quite a bit narrower so I either have a big gap behind the wheel or I cut the carrier down. The stud type is definitely the easiest one to cut down. I cut the welds on the back which allowed me to slide the studs back through the plate by 60mm. I re-welded the outside, cut the excess off and welded the other side to. A drop of paint and it's ready to fit.

IMG_20230818_200540.thumb.jpg.e5bbdc243017f5163969e7ff93fb67cb.jpg

Mike

• Like 2