Overland caravan build

Just imagine the drag if there was proper sized turbine on the roof! Poor tdi...

As an aside, many moons ago at work we got a suggestion from a citizen to mount wind turbines on or in trains, to offset the power needed to run the trains. I tried to keep a straight face (and my calm) while trying to explain the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. Not sure if I got through to him, probably he just put it down as another government conspiracy. To make matter worse, I don't think my boss really grasped the principle of conservation of energy either... :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Escape said:

Just imagine the drag if there was proper sized turbine on the roof! Poor tdi...

As an aside, many moons ago at work we got a suggestion from a citizen to mount wind turbines on or in trains, to offset the power needed to run the trains. I tried to keep a straight face (and my calm) while trying to explain the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. Not sure if I got through to him, probably he just put it down as another government conspiracy. To make matter worse, I don't think my boss really grasped the principle of conservation of energy either... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of an interview with I think some rapper..... they genuinely thought wind turbines were just fans to help cool the earth and reduce the effects of climate change :rofl: 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 8:24 PM, landroversforever said:

No where near that much, but my parents are swapping to a sensible sized motorhome (4 berth, 6m long I think) and its crazy how expensive they get, and very quickly at that!! 

I can see how a couple would end up with some kind of monster motorhome with a trailer/car in tow. I got chatting to a guy a few years back at a caravan club site with a monster US RV and it's their home. They live full time after downsizing their house and renting it out (so a future safety net in case of il-health). 

On 10/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, Peaklander said:

I won't derail anymore but at one site I thought I would Google a model there which was a Flair by Niesmann-Bischoff. Unbelievable pricing, depending on options, of £250-300K.

On 10/30/2023 at 10:16 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

We found that in Alaska, our rented F350 camper was usually the smallest thing on site. One site we camped behind a Canadian chap with a Volvo estate and a small Eriba bathtub caravan, we were having a very similar conversation and he said "talk about conspicuous consumption, eh?" - there were motorhomes there that brought along their own patch of artificial grass & plastic picket fence to define their own (not so) little fake garden in front of their behemoth. Usually just a retired couple in the thing.

This sort of nonsense was far too common:

IMG_4889.JPG IMG_4814.JPG

They usually have ridiculous features like granite worktops and of course at least one absolutely huge TV :rolleyes: and of course a built-in generator to annoy everyone else with.

If you want a really cool motorhome/detachable fifth wheel travelling vehicle look no further....    (Spotted in the highlands a few years ago.).  🙂

IMG_0541.JPG

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Like 1

Not sure it classifies as really cool but it's interesting. I've got a five seat car and a four bed trailer, that is a three seat car (at most) with a trailer to accommodate about thirty. It would be interesting to see the layout inside but I don't see how it wins over a normal caravan.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Not sure it classifies as really cool but it's interesting. I've got a five seat car and a four bed trailer, that is a three seat car (at most) with a trailer to accommodate about thirty. It would be interesting to see the layout inside but I don't see how it wins over a normal caravan.

Mike

Only advantage is a higher trailer weight. Although looking at the above, the 5th wheel is too far back. 

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Probably fair to say only because 5th wheel/gooseneck stuff isn’t common over here. Then some of the interiors wouldn’t be made of papier-mâché :lol: 

From what I've seen, the goose-neck ones are just as shoddy as everything else...

https://www.theautopian.com/rv-quality-has-gotten-so-bad-that-62800-buys-you-a-camper-with-broken-safety-equipment/

This guys has been on a serial rant about this for some time now :lol:

Since we're on the subject of 5th wheels is anyone here knowledgeable about them?

My understanding is the purpose of the 5th wheel is to shift some of the weight onto the drive axles of the tractor (tow vehicle). So for example the Sandringham has a 2t payload on the bed on the rear and is actually plated for a 4t trailer behind it.

So (assuming one has an appropriate license) I would have thought that I could have a trailer + payload combination that totals 6t if one created a gooseneck trailer or fifth wheel trailer that shifted 2t of its weight onto the 6x6?

The question is is such a trailer possible in the UK behind what is nominally a historic vehicle / 4x4? One assumption I'm working on is the trailer would have to be air braked but that wouldn't be an issue theoretically as there are air over hydraulic systems available and I know someone (this is where the theory comes in as it depends on if he could find it) who has one. 

• Like 1

Those 6x6 are brutal.

Used to drive one for work with a very large MEWP on it. Drive it like the queen Mary and it was ok. 

Winched it out a few times tho. Probably would be very good with a 5th wheel, certainly be a long machine.

What's the maximum length that a 6x6 can be with a box trailer on?

Edited by Shep The Disco