it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

Looking good!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Hope the mug heals up nicely. I got burned like that from welding once, too. It's not pleasant.

so very much on the home straight now.

wall cabinets doors and insides painted and outside carpet covered:
tTqvBUc.jpg
nrbh4Mk.jpg

doors fitted yet to be stained in this pic).
ilobZA6.jpg

skirting board and architrave cut and fitted. (yet to decide on colour, any ideas?
wK73CGf.jpg
Q7yfZfx.jpg
WMaYmB8.jpg
NRRHvRI.jpg

just a few niggling finishing touches left.//

two things became apparent when i put the rx8 in the back for a test the other week.

1) approach angle (surprisingly) was fine 

and

2) ramp over angle was not (unsurprisingly)

being as it will very shortly be much lower, that needed dealing with.

the original plan was to use the tail lift to lift the ramps off the ground once the front wheels are on the deck, and that does work, but is a bit of a pain, so my new plan, is to reduce the angle.

solution :D

c4ZZELF.jpg

and just gotta cut up the old chequer plate i have and bolt it to the top :D 
2L4q0sQ.jpg

Edited by qwakers

I suspect Jamie meant on the sides? As it stands the leading edge of the ramp is the only joint directly resisting fwd/aft relative movement between the top and bottom frames, being quite slender elements a bit more bracing might be good insurance? Of course we dont know from the pic what the uprights are exactly or how you have welded them it is just a visual impression.

i thought of that. the uprights are 25mmx3mm angle. and remember, its built as one big triangle, so for the top layer to move fore or aft it would have to tear the weld from the box section at the point and bend multiple lengths of angle, i recon it would take far more energy than it will ever have to withstand, even in a crash, to do that! :) 

Edited by qwakers

On 12/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, qwakers said:

i thought of that. the uprights are 25mmx3mm angle. and remember, its built as one big triangle, so for the top layer to move fore or aft it would have to tear the weld from the box section at the point and bend multiple lengths of angle, i recon it would take far more energy than it will ever have to withstand, even in a crash, to do that! :) 

It was the ends that were of particular concern as there's nothing to stop it moving to the side. The sections on the side could also use a brace as they're a long way from the one triangle at the very back. It'll probably end up carrying heavier things than you plan on right now so maybe worth adding the belts and braces now. Good plan though.

• 2 weeks later...

so lorry time

finished off the carpet where i had to join it...
dDChLcmh.jpg
UqMLwRuh.jpg

sorted out the splash back
0C7Cp58h.jpg
ccwHvtqh.jpg
carpeted a bit of ply to cover the second set of wheels
NEEC1zMh.jpg

also not pictured, sanded back and painted the  filled areas along the sides and painted the front crossmember of the box. (behind the cab)

wired the winch in (yes i now have one)

finished off the doors

all done! (well, enough for the time being)

jobs left to do:

put some finishing strips on the splashback
finish off the pipe covers in the loo
valet the cab
paint the outside (yeah, thats gonna be a while!)

• 2 weeks later...

sorted my welding mask issue.

CA63F366-AA6B-4185-BAAC-D690AE34E789.thumb.png.80096bff956f21af06f474fb7cdd10c3.png

ive used those helmets (dad swears by them) and like them well enough, well worth the price. ive also just bought a ac/dc tig welder (nothing to do with this project) so got a few accessories.

i needed a winch to put the car on the lorry if i broke it (considering what im doing, not at all unlikely) i did the maths based on a few guides and the angle of the ramps etc meant in theory i only needed a 3000lb winch. so i bought a cheap 4000lb one... yeah that didnt work. so thats going back.

i was perusing. ebay when i came across 2x winchmax 24v 13500lb winches for spares or repairs. so i took a punt on both. £35 each.

one was missing the freespool lever but otherwise works perfectly, but its solenoid is u/s the otherone the freespool works fine but the motor whilst it turns it doesnt drve the drum.

so ive moved the freespool lever across to the working winch and started testing solenoids. all 3 are scrap. so for £70 and the cost of a solenoid i have 1 working winch, and 2 cheap parts and a solenoid i will have a second i can sell.

win :D