it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

not the easiest car to transport tools in...
gEkhMKH.jpg

god the job done though...

oGIgjF7.jpg
2oh8WrE.jpg

plust (not pictured) the floor of the lorry is now up and out of the way.

on a side note, does anyone know where i can find the manual for a lister SR3 diesel single speed engine? need to get it running... its a 25kva generator that i've been lent with the understanding that i recommission it for them...

got diesel at the fuel rail but nothing comes out the injectors top banjo's when cracked and engine cranked over...

im fairly sure its me doing something wrong. this things from the ark....

Edited by qwakers

25 kVa sounds a bit optimistic for a SR3 , nearer to 18kVa  I would have thought.

Hand  or electric start ?  You can hear the injectors clack  easily  especially on excess fuel when cranked.

Is the stop/start  hand or solenoid operated?   If hand operated can you feel the rod connecting the fuel pump racks moving.  If the engine has stood the pumps may have seized with damp in the fuel.  To stop the lever has to be held against a spring, when released it is in run against the stop, pull the lever out and turn further to the next stop is excess fuel for starting.

First check that there is fuel out of the top of each fuel pump, you can see the difference in quantity of fuel between run and excess fuel.

If you have fuel at the pump inlet but not when cranking the pistons in the pumps can be seized at the top of their stroke, likely if the engine has been stood with poor fuel.

The pumps can easily be stripped out and cleaned .

I have not got a manual but can scan pages from the parts list for the ST3 which is basically the same but 2-3hp more.

PM if you want more...it was at least 25 years ago when I last worked on these engines.

• Thanks 1

its hand start

ive only been able to locate two controls, one being obviously the decompressor leavers the other being a small leaver on the rigt hand side on the engine as you look at it from the crank handle end, it has a spring clip to hold it closed and it only moves about 5 degrees to opem it. i assumed this was the stop start and or the cold start valve.

i was expecting more in the way of fuel controls... but as i say, i know nothing about these old engines.

i have fuel at the end of the fuel rail clean with no air in it, i can hear clanking as i turn it over, but if i crack a injector top nut, i dont get any fuel out..,

any pictures or diagrams would be deeply appreciated...

it runs!

the leaver i was talking about was also the cold start, i took the cover off the injector chamber and gave the spring loaded rod that comes out of the fuel pump a shove and it freed up, then i was able to turn the lever to the 3rd ‘cold start’ position. i then uncoupled one decompressor levers and span it over, flicked the decompressor over and it fired on one cylinder and ran. then i flicked the other 2 over and off it went!

one hell of a learning curve these old engines!

ive fabbed up a fuel tank and bracket for it and connected it all up. just a 32a socket to fit and the exhaust to finish, and itll be golden!

A9727246-65B3-474E-92FD-38ACBD3089B5.thumb.jpeg.b061ebff2d2faf5e2501983a7c9cabb2.jpeg

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, qwakers said:

it was damaged by a idiot (ergo me) not double checking it doesnt hit the strut when on full lock after changing the balljoint....

the others are fine.

That brings back (interesting...) memories! The day after I passed my driving test I collected my parents car from the garage where it had been to have wheel bearings changed. First time I braked it worked. Second time, on the approach to a blind bend over a hump backed bridge (local accident black spot), the pedal went to the floor and the brake warning light came on. Rapid downchange got me round and I drove home on the gears. 

Turned out the mechanic hadn't connected the brake lines for either circuit at one corner. Later on the dampers worked loose, so it wasn't the only thing he couldn't be arsed checking (or, apparently, his boss after having to recover the car and eat a lot of humble pie with my dad).

🇹🇻

• Haha 1

generators pretty much done, total of about 2 days work in gettingit going (read learning how to get it going)

last job was to wire up the generator to a 32a socket. easy enough, but first try i count get sny voltsge. turns out yu need a battery attached to excite the windings (like a car alternator)

it also has a electric start buy using the stator windings as a motor.. good to know and much easier to start :)

just got to make battery wires up for it and job done  :roll: 

1FD818F9-B1A7-4BDE-AED6-6F9E35B5CB6B.jpeg

1DF6B769-BBD4-421E-8B6A-ED6D16764DD7.jpeg

A39C34E4-93FA-43A9-A201-414910AAF6C4.jpeg

• Like 1

all done,

the battery is the old one off my car. will start the car as lomg as i use it every couple of days. it is, therefore, predictably flat at the moment. but electric start works and it generates power, the tank no longer leaks, so all is well!

24A62E2A-E05E-4FD5-B50B-38329645E9B2.jpeg

2C372FB4-2E52-4800-A7B3-3613C467563F.jpeg

AA9BCBD4-3339-4700-A943-F61549E6B090.jpeg

• Like 1

bit of chassis chopping done today. (would have finished but ran out of cutting disks.)

CF32E562-1FB0-4F49-99FC-07A1B15DF482.thumb.jpeg.d6598fdd5281742757ad72447714a529.jpeg

B9474047-50F4-4160-B21D-3B5D6171C453.thumb.jpeg.045de8be4ffd7963cc85f22fd011c3b8.jpeg

plus, this axle stand (my dads) compared to my big pair, is just terrible.

same design as mine but the welds have no penatration at all. do you remember dads horsebox mot repair list from last year? (edit, you wont this is a copy and paste, again, cant be bothered to re write it...) i had to repeat the bushes yesterday (aftermarket garbage, went genuine this time) and when i lowered it onto the stands, the stand broke its welds and the lorry promptly hit the floor. no harm done but have you ever had to lift 7.5 tons up that you cant get a jack under.  :shock: 

que one forklift truck later and it was sat on my axle stands and i got the job done.

the repair? bash them straight again and some decent welding...
01796A8A-477A-4C15-924E-2C41794C2DFC.thumb.jpeg.cfed461419b224c056a2db1cb2a02b37.jpeg

37B1793A-15DD-4686-A266-7B1E8FF9A5F0.thumb.jpeg.9b08c4d7e294c03f3b99ba282556e19a.jpeg

31DA1524-4E3C-4270-A561-0370D0DB1C42.thumb.jpeg.b8d76eaaa86ce227875fc00420f6df68.jpeg

lots and lots of welding today!  welding off a genny takes a bit of getting used to, so excuse my welds! the generator takes a second or so to throttle up to provide enough current, so the beginnings of each weld are a bit cold, but once you're going all is well..

plus welding upside down is hard
plus i cut a smidge too much out and had to weld a fillet in.
plus i hit thermal protect about 3 times because the welds are huge and the settings are maxed.
plus i don't weld enough to be a artist!

(that enough excuses??? i got a few more!)

3lL8ISh.jpg
AdJhUTH.jpg

I1Nt1oz.jpg

aJko4Qf.jpg

pzdMYmS.jpg

ZzuW57u.jpg

i nabbed a member of staff at about 1pm and got him to run the welder over on the forklift, all was fine and dandy, until i looked at my watch thinking better check the time so i can nab someone to move the genny back inside... only to find its nearly 6pm and everyone is long gone! welding is a huge time suck!

had to call dad and ask him to drop by after putting his horse to bed so he could put the generator away for me  #-o 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ht860

Edited by qwakers

i really got very little done today. the plans where good.

clean up the welds and finish sectioning the rear of the chassis legs and then start on the side panels.

yeah, that didn't happen. weather was awful, all day, and you can weld in the rain, its just not a great idea.

all i got done in the end between torrential downpours is to finish the weld on the offside chassis leg, and section and weld up the nearside leg. which was, i must admit, a much neater job.

the bend
XEXPstV.jpg
kRXgdVb.jpg
NP6S5Aa.jpg

end of chassis leg...

fAEsixa.jpg
0z5bfv7.jpg
uWhpxtp.jpg

notice the pools of water... what a unpleasant day....

• Like 1