Stage one V8 front half shafts

Gazzar

3 hours ago, Jon White said:

I’ve been through all of this. You can’t use 110 stub axles as you have discovered as they misalign the cv to the centre of the king pin. They are about 5mm out IIRC. You have to use the correct stage 1 v8 ones they are different.

I have a photo somewhere that shows the difference I will see if I can find. 

I tried turned down 110 stubs first and it took me ages to work out what wasn’t right…..

jon

@missingsid didn’t just use a 110 stub axle, it was paired to RRC swivel assemblies. Given the very small variation between the 110 and RRC stub it shouldn’t have been a problem. He definitely has things to check though.

I agree that you can’t use a 110 stub on a SIII or Stage 1 set up. 

7 hours ago, uninformed said:

@missingsid didn’t just use a 110 stub axle, it was paired to RRC swivel assemblies. Given the very small variation between the 110 and RRC stub it shouldn’t have been a problem. He definitely has things to check though.

I agree that you can’t use a 110 stub on a SIII or Stage 1 set up. 

Hi  happy new year, not all is good with using 110 CVs and stubs with RRC hubs and swivels. It also transpires that the RRC hub is about 10mm narrower than the 110 hub so the  CV outer circlip does not touch the drive member. This is not related to wide or narrow bearings and drive members.

18 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Hi  happy new year, not all is good with using 110 CVs and stubs with RRC hubs and swivels. It also transpires that the RRC hub is about 10mm narrower than the 110 hub so the  CV outer circlip does not touch the drive member. This is not related to wide or narrow bearings and drive members.

So the RRC hub allowed the AEU2522 CV to float inward because it was narrower? 

22 hours ago, uninformed said:

So the RRC hub allowed the AEU2522 CV to float inward because it was narrower? 

No because it was shimmed internally to remove the movement, in theory.

Truth is it could still be that or it could be too much restriction  inside.

My guess is a combination of things. Remember the other side with the recessed shaft did not rub at all.

I think the way forward is to choose one style of location, either bushes and no circlips ala RRC OR no bush and location by circlips ala 110 NOT both!

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

BritRest Mike has just posted a video set servicing a swivel joint and this last one has a moment at 11 minutes that may be of interest.

Like watching this guy.

Re the demo of the effect of lateral play in the CV  I have no play as the CV was shimmed out to the stub axle. Still worth investigating though.

Did you notice the disconcerting amount of movement of the LR on the lift whenever he used the torque wrench! I would be pooping it but I guess he is used to it.

I know you didn’t have any endfloat, but there is suspicion the CV wasn’t in the centre of the swivel, as when Mike pushed his too far in.  It was his comment about the grinding that was interesting, though I suspect the grinding he’d have had was the rim of the outer cv bell against the inside of the chalice.  Certainly, though, any such misalignment is going to throw the shafts tangentially.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

I know you didn’t have any endfloat, but there is suspicion the CV wasn’t in the centre of the swivel, as when Mike pushed his too far in.  It was his comment about the grinding that was interesting, though I suspect the grinding he’d have had was the rim of the outer cv bell against the inside of the chalice.  Certainly, though, any such misalignment is going to throw the shafts tangentially.

Indeed, when it gets a bit warmer, -3 this morning, I will check.

There’s a bit of information in my build thread as I converted my front axle to CVs using a mix of defender and series parts.

Took a while to figure it out but it works well.

I’ve got permanent 4WD now to go with the gearbox.