Need bits

That is very low geared for a 200TDI?

The 1.6 was fitted to the old pre TDI engined vehicles, the TDI's have more power, and can pull higher gears.

A factory TDI 110 would have a 1.4 ratio transfer box. The higher gearing = lower revs = less noise = better fuel economy.

You can also drop a 1.2 ratio box from an old discovery in there and go higher still. (bit too high for towing for my liking though)

Ashcroft now do a 1.3 gear set as well.🤤 I would like to test one of those.

Agree 1.4 is a better bet, someone running oversize tyres will rip your arm off for your 1.6 box I'm sure. You might even find a swapsies.

Last LT230 gasket set I bought had a selection that covered every variant ever.

It started of with a Nissan 6 cylinder non turbo which was very under powered from 2005 when my dad brought it then 4 years a go he had the 200tdi put in it by a useless bloody garage up in  louton I’m on 235/85/R16’s it’s ok does good to the gallon but seems to screem up the motorway always looking for a 6th gear 😳

so what transfer box do you lot think now 😊

Standard tyres and that LT230 would leave the engine screaming on the motorway, but it'll pull like a train!  I suspect you find first gear next to useless and have to chase the gears through quick changes accelerating, too, with the Tdi.

You really do need a 1.4 (standard Defender) LT230.  You could fit a 1.22 from a Discovery or RRC, but only if your engine is in really good order and you don't tow or have a roof rack as it'll be overgeared for most applications.  The 1.4 gives the best compromise for noise, fuel economy and performance for flexible use of the car.  The ideal is the 1.4 with an overdrive, but overdrives are expensive.  

If I'm not mistaken, the TDCI Defenders (2007+) had 1.22 boxes, but they had the six speed transmission with very low first gear to compensate, so it was comparable to the older transmission and an overdrive in sixth.  Be careful to check the ratios on a second hand Defender unit, just in case it has come from a TDCI (or is a Discovery unit in a Defender).

Don’t tow or have a roof rack that about covers every Land Rover on the planet 😂

no my gear shifting is good, my 200 is leaking oil everywhere don’t use any water got a loud tap but other then that goes well tows my 18 ft caravan don’t loose it up hill I recon the turbo could use an overhaul tho as blades bent 

so 1.4 sounds like a good opinion? 

DCD4F27B-69A0-421E-AEB5-F043EB694EA6.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

That turbo is scrap, and your engine is slowly ingesting small bits of aluminium as it eats the turbo housing.

I wouldn't be driving it like that.

^ What he said, worry about the big problems before worrying about gearing! :lol:

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

That turbo is scrap, and your engine is slowly ingesting small bits of aluminium as it eats the turbo housing.

I wouldn't be driving it like that.

No me neither 😂 that answer your thinking 🤔 😂😂

A78C17BA-76FD-4BF1-BF5F-C805369D8C8B.jpeg

• Like 3

See the gap between blades and casing in the top but blade contact at the bottom and erosion of the blades?  The casing will be eroded worse than the blades, and the engine will have eaten plenty of metal.  You may have got away with it, but I'd be concerned about the valves and seats., and it'd be worth pulling the injectors to assess their tips.  Turbotechnics in Northampton are the best for rebuilds or good value replacements.

You don't tow, but it pulls the caravan well...  I don't think your definition of towing and mine are the same, but yes, you want a 1.4, definitely not a 1.22 transfer box.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

See the gap between blades and casing in the top but blade contact at the bottom and erosion of the blades?  The casing will be eroded worse than the blades, and the engine will have eaten plenty of metal.  You may have got away with it, but I'd be concerned about the valves and seats., and it'd be worth pulling the injectors to assess their tips.  Turbotechnics in Northampton are the best for rebuilds or good value replacements.

You don't tow, but it pulls the caravan well...  I don't think your definition of towing and mine are the same, but yes, you want a 1.4, definitely not a 1.22 transfer box.

Confused here 🤔

yes I tow an 18 ft caravan with my Land Rover110 (not often) but when I do it don’t seem to be a problem,

so 1.4 transfer box would be the way forward with my 235/85R16 wheels 200tdi 

i think my turbo is a big problem that’s been changed 

235/85 are basically factory standard size,and 1.4 is factory standard gearing for a 200 so it should tow fine.

People with 90's who don't tow can get away with 1.2 ratio but it can be a bit lacking up hills and would likely be hard work with a caravan on.

21 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

Got another Turbo,

what do you think of this one?

Hmm...  pretty filthy inside.  Can't tell much from a picture - there's no way to feel end float or lateral bearing play, but at least the compressor blades look fairly good.