Handbrake allows series 3 move 6 inches forward and back.

neilc

I hear this is normal , I put my handbrake on and landy still rolls 6 inches forward and backward  before stopping , this has always been the case and it has flown through the MOT. however I am due to take the Landy on a ferry this summer and this is obviously an issue , they pack vehicles in those things bumper to bumper , has anyone had a similar experience in the past and come up with a suitable solution?

Thanks in advance.

It clamps the rear prop shaft. So, that system must have play.

Chock the wheels, hand brake on, jack up a rear wheel. Once clear of the ground see how much it turns in either direction.

See if the prop shaft turns whilst you're at it.

It's probably wear on the half shafts and possibly the flanges.

And the diff.

Another test. Pop the gearbox into four wheel drive, see if it moves as much. Often the front drive train is less worn and, as the 4x4 system locks the front and back together ( with some play ) this might reduce the roll.

My 109 only rolls an inch at max.

There could also be wear in the UJs and engine/gearbox mountings  Check the handbrake backplate isn't loose, although this should be caught at the MOT.

If you can't reduce the movement ask the ferry company, this sort of thing must be common amongst all vehicles with transmission brakes.  Perhaps they could lash it down?

Wouldn't hurt to take a set of chocks with you, but they're normally pretty good if you explain.

Agreed as above it's probably an accumulation of wear. 6 inches doesn't translate to many degrees of rotation through the drivetrain up to the hand brake drum.

A total of 6"movement isn't far from what I'd expect, so while it's worth looking for excess play on prop shaft UJs and half shaft splines, I don't think you'll find much fault.  They should leave 18" or so between vehicles just for people to get between them anyway, so it shouldn't cause trouble on a ferry.