Oil Change Complete with Metal Shavings

Did my first oil change today after having the timing belt replaced by a local independent Land Rover shop. They also replaced the push rods, rocker arms, tappet adjusters,... as some of the rods were bent. I noticed some thin metal shavings, enough to just clog the funnel I was using to pour the old oil from tray into a storage can. All is running fine but this is a first for me. Thoughts?

Colour?

If it blocked a funnel, I'd suggest you are likely to need to open up the bottom of the engine, that amount of material, and obviously size, can only really be crank main or big end bearings. Possibly cam, but unlikely.

Rockers/pushrods destroying themselves would just produce glitter and not flakes.

At this point, I don't think it will be anything to do with the work the garage has done, but need to know more really.

It's a 300Tdi. I didn't take any photos; though I could filter them out of the waste container and take some. Before doing that, I could better describe them not as shavings but rather strands of steel wool. The amount that I saw gathered in the funnel could be held loosely in a thimble. One piece I did extract was maybe 3cm long.

Could it be a mashed up oil seal spring?

I found pieces of oil seal spring about 2 - 3 cm in the sump of a 300 Tdi last week  , although it wasn't mashed , just short sections that had sprung straight .

cheers

Steve b 

• 4 weeks later...

Curiosity, getting the better of me, found me filtering the old oil through some cheesecloth this morning. Was a bit of a lengthy process (fine mesh would have been better but I didn't have any). Did not find any more metal. Yes, I did even inspect the bottom of the original waste oil container. Decided it might be rather excessive to cut open the oil filter, so I left it at that. All is running Defender smooth, though I haven't put many kilometers on it. Unless I have some problems, I shall do an early oil change next and see if anything other than oil appears.

Though I didn't notice it at the time, perhaps, Steve, it was the oil seal spring.

Maybe , your curiosity is worthwhile though , it's what I would have done just to settle my mind . As you say , an early  oil change into a clean catch tray will seal the deal :)

" Defender smooth "   = great :D , we all know that description

cheers

Steve b

I’d drop the sump, give it a good clean and then run it until the next service and have a close look again.  It could just be something that got in during a previous oil change or tapped adjustment and fell down the push rod tubes to the sump, never passing around the oil system.

I think a FilterMag is always a good investment and a simple addition - it’s just a big, curved, very strong magnet that sticks to the side of the oil filter to pull out any small ferritic particles too small for the filter to catch.  It’s amazing how much they collect, though is suspect much of it would be caught by the filter element anyway, but at least it keeps the element that much cleaner and oil flow that much less restricted.

• 1 month later...