Puma TDCi - Timing chain replacement schedule

Madcowz

Hi,

I'm now in charge of looking after two TDCI's. 2010 and 2011 plate which have both done less than 35K but are now 8 & 9 years old.

What are your thoughts on timing chain renewal?

Also, any idea of the (sensible) schedules for gearbox, transfer box and diff oils? 

This maintenance check sheet shows the following:
Gearbox: 200k
Transfer box and diffs: 80k

I'm very light on any info or service log books and don't know anything about new fangled engines and would prefer to play it very safe.

Thanks and sorry for the noddy questions.

Puma%20Maintenance%20Checksheet.jpg)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... 

I'm checking out a bunch of Puma powered Defenders with a view to replace my 110.

Routine replacement of a timing chain is news to me. Are there any obvious signs of a worn chain I can look for whilst inspecting a prospective 110? I take it that if I buy one with no known history of chain replacement then I should budget for getting it sorted? 

My daughter bought a very cheap 250K mile CRV diesel without any service history, contrary to all advice she had received from me. After a few months this was the sound...

It was a learning curve for me and I replaced the cam and oil pump chains and a whole load of other parts. Plus I stripped the VNT turbo which at the same time had started to get stuck and give over boost codes.

It's my only example but I believe that regular and frequent engine oil and filter changes are essential.

Timing chains tend to make a noise when the effective length of each link is slightly more than the sprocket teeth through wear.

Old school mass manufacturers used to see chains as almost indestructible, but vehicles barely made it to 100,000 miles in the old days. A sort of whirring and clattering - Peaklander's video is extreme! That, only quieter.

Worn chains can destroy engines, just ask a Triumph Stag owner, (that suffered from a cheap chain and a tensioner with only a limited ability to take up slack).

12 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

...Worn chains can destroy engines, just ask a Triumph Stag owner, (that suffered from a cheap chain and a tensioner with only a limited ability to take up slack).

Or just about any early '80s Honda motorcycle owner - bike camchains were rubbish and tensioners nowhere near man enough for the job. 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Or.... any 2000s onwards VW/Audi owner, where they put the chain on the back of engine in some cases as it was a non-service item. Turns out they were wrong. Very expensive to repair and often write the car off.

I guess that depends on your view... VW/Audi who won't care once the engine has done over 60k miles or 3 years service, or the owner of a 4year old/61k miles+ car. 

Thank you for the responses. I think I have my answer that I need to include this in my budget for a Puma Defender. I'm leaning towards the 2.4 version if I see the right one for me. 

My 200tdi 110 is having its Mot this week, then it will be on the market. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, monkie said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... 

I'm checking out a bunch of Puma powered Defenders with a view to replace my 110.

Routine replacement of a timing chain is news to me. Are there any obvious signs of a worn chain I can look for whilst inspecting a prospective 110? I take it that if I buy one with no known history of chain replacement then I should budget for getting it sorted? 

Having rebuilt the Tdci , the timing chain hadn’t been an issue at 160k.

I did replace the chain at 170k and in my build thread you can see the difference between a 100k chain and a new, but it was never was noisy in my opinion even though the chain had stretched and the guide was worn.

Tdci’s are a world away from older LR driven Landy’s in so many ways.

Replacing a chain isn’t difficult if your handy with your spanner’s, no special tools needed, just lots of silicone around the seals when done 😉

• Like 3