Lowest effort rx 8 seat fitting to 90

mad_pete

Okay ordered some RX 8 seats from eBay and then ordering some of these

https://www.edgegarage.co.uk/store/products/127044

And see what the lowest amount of work I can do to get these in. I’m not getting the loom so will be some plugging things because in 2 months it’s 2020 and the future is heated seats.

This is minimum effort so not planning to go near any box section so yes this is a total cheat for the fabrication section but maybe I need to take a bracket off the seat who knows.

Fitting them without those rails is relatively easy. The most time consuming bit was cutting off the RX8 mounts and wiring them up.

I used the original RX8 switches but ran them through a custom made fuse/relay center behind the passenger seat.

I think I've had my heated seat on every day since I fitted them 👼😂

Seat.jpg

FRC.jpg

I was worried about the potential loss of leg room, but there doesn't seem to be much difference.

I cant put my seat back as far as possible due to my toolbox behind (the back of the seat hits it), but i'm 6ft and I can cope.

You can see the original RX8 heated seat switches on the bottom right of my centre console. I may change the switches in the future to match the rest of my switches, but they'll do for now.

console3.jpg

interior.jpg

interior2.jpg

console2.jpg

FRC2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is very nice looking. I may have some questions around that in a bit if I may. 

Mine remain low effort as my seat rails have not arrived. 

Seats have though and they look good. A lot of seat for the money. 

They have a car air fresher smell to them, which I hate so I might give them a go over with a steam cleaner and some leather polish. Maybe take a look at taking the air bags and seat belt clips out.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, mad_pete said:

That is very nice looking. I may have some questions around that in a bit if I may. 

Mine remain low effort as my seat rails have not arrived. 

Seats have though and they look good. A lot of seat for the money. 

They have a car air fresher smell to them, which I hate so I might give them a go over with a steam cleaner and some leather polish. Maybe take a look at taking the air bags and seat belt clips out.

Any questions, drop me a PM

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, mad_pete said:

Still don’t have my rails.....

I used the original rails off my defender seats, stripped them down to the bare rails, same with the RX8 seats, and 'merged' them together  😄

It will all be worth it once you get them in, it's like driving a different car!

Hope you don't mind some questions....

What "motherboard" it is you're you using, please ?

Is that a Mudstuff console ?

image.png.bf8f49f3dc20f8d8463d933f99eea7eb.png

and what is that panel on the dash ?

Radio ?

CB ?

Thanks

Where the arrow is pointing is a Parrot handsfree. Next to the Parrot is the pin entry for the Sigma alarm.

The centre console I made myself from 1mm steel and then coated with  bed liner type material.

The panel with the switches on is from Amazon. It's a tidy way of housing the switches volt meter and 12v sockets.

The fuseboard is from a Volvo Truck (I work for Volvo, got this one handy out of the scrap bin).

CC1.png

CC3.png

CC5.png

• 4 weeks later...

I’m now stuck with what to do. I asked for a refund (quite a bit now) but no response. The £90 is I think below the minimum credit card protection level which leaves small claims court I guess ? I want to go and get some mud rails and move this along but I don’t know if Edge will end up sending me the rails anyway.

I’m ready to be understanding for production and other issues but companies that promise update after update and then don’t ever give one are very frustrating to deal with. If you said a week but now it’s two just send me a text Surely that’s not too hard?

Come on Edge give me my money back !

🙂

From what I can gather the rails are made to order and they have been sent back twice because of holes in the wrong places. Which okay maybe sort your supplier out but as soon as you know that please update me that my order is delayed.

i think they also run trips which seems to mean they shutdown for weeks at a time. I asked for the instructions  in December so I could get on and prep the seats and I haven’t got those and I was told I would get an update Friday/weekend and don’t have that and that’s pretty much how this has played out.

I looking at last week in November get these installed and now I’m thinking should I make a top gear like sofa with them for the garage in the meantime to stop me tripping over them....

I don’t know the company other than driving past and seeing muddy trucks outside the building so can’t really comment but there has been some concerns lately about them.

facebook post yesterday regarding them doesn’t look good

i cant share here, I’ll pm you 

Wow looks like someone’s whole Land Rover is missing.

I phoned my credit card company.
“Could I have my money back please as I don’t have any rails.”
“Yes certainly here it is”

”thanks that’s brilliant ”

so that’s all sorted 🙂

now I need to decide mud rails or experiment with box section.....

• Like 1

Did you manage to separate the explosive part / gubbins of the air bag and leave the external trim piece to reinstall in the seat?  

I’ve currently disconnected mine in the seat base but will (at some stage) need to put the vehicle through an IVA test and think the man in the white coat may not look to favourably on the seats if they still contain the (disconnected) airbags...

I’ll post when I do. Attacking the rails at the moment.

3DDDEB6A-028A-49A4-A3D4-BF74A8F5AC8F.thumb.jpeg.5796b0857ff7d15795df40a23d35a34d.jpeg

got about 3 brackets per rail. Weighing up my attack options.  Spot weld drill seems a bit slow, multi tool a bit under powered. Could do grinder but 4 bolts and the seat base is off and if a can get the back off that will be easier for drill out on the pillar drill and welding so trying to strip it at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the brackets off. Grinder for pretty much everything. Looking at he current seats and looks like the defender rails have been welded to a sub frame for current bucket seats. Wondering if I can use that is some way. Found a post that suggests the air bags can come apart from the 3 bolts and the charge removed (do at your own risk) I look into that a bit more.

Found these 

https://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-removable-seat-fitting-kit-for-defender.html

How does the the Land Rover seat base remove ? Well more how does it stay on place I guess. The rx8 base is held on with 4 bolts but how much holding does a seat base need ?  Wondering if short studs would make it removable.