Front winch mounting

oakeedokee

Been scratching my head as to the best way to mount a Warn M1200 to the front of my bobtail today and thought I would ask you guys for some guidance. I've got a mounting plate to suit it, but it will need modification to make it sit as far back as possible. I like the approach angle with no winch fitted, so do I move the rad back and fit electric fans or will I be able to keep it where Land Rover intended? I can't afford to buy a winch bumper so would like to see other folk's photos of home-made setups. Any tips, problems you've come across too please. Thanks.

I have searched hi and low for a piccy of my bumper, but all I can find is a couple from when it was "in development"! :rolleyes:

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

Only problem I had was after I welded the sides into the tray, the winch was a *REALLY* tight fit against the mounting bolts that go through the chassis. Suppose if you are gonna weld the tray directly to the chassis then you won't have this problem tho.

HTH

D :)

How do you get on with the winch being so low down? Does the tray fill up with carp too easily?

Marc, looking at your photo have you removed one of the stays that support the bonnet release? Does that affect it's operation?

its 4weeks that i drive without that bar and i don't have problems with it. the bonnet still opens like it used to do before.

can take some more pictures if you want.

Yes please I'd like to see how its all connected to the chassis.

I started with a bikini winch mount that i got from a friend.

berceaude0.jpg

I welded that plate to my bumper and this is how it's attached to my chassis. my rangie has a 1" bodylift, without a bodylift, you maybe should fix the mounting plate under the chassis instead of above it.

dsc01807mediumgk4.jpg

And this is a view to see that the approach angle isn't affected.

dsc01808mediumfz8.jpg

and finally a picture of my range rover with the winchbumper. (It has normally 255/85 tires instead of those standard size tires. ;) )

p1000570mediumob0.jpg

I know you said you cant afford a winch bumper but this may be of some use. It was an RDS tubular bumper with the centre section cut out beneath the A-bar, and a second-hand warn winch plate that came off an old M8000 welded into the gap. The mounting holes were welded up in the bumper and re-drilled to allow the bumper to sit further back against the rad and it leaves a good approach angle.

med_gallery_1739_196_120788.jpg

Sorry, not the best photo

Lewis :)

Thanks for the photos, Marc and Lewis. it's given me inspiration! The reciprocating saw and angle grinder have been put to good use today. I've decided to weld the plate mid-way up the chassis legs to keep the approach angle as close to original as possible. I still haven't decided on how or where to attach the bumper tubes but I'm hoping it will all fall into place as I proceed. I'll take some photos as soon as I get my camera repaired.

thats a nice bit of fabrication... but i'd keep an eye on those recovery points mounted so high up, they'll exert a lot of leverage on the bumper mounts when used in anger... much better to get them in line (horizontally) with the bumper mounting points...

if you were using them to lift the vehicle straight up in the air, they'd be perfect.

hope you don't take offence, i know a little bit about engineering and stuff, and reckon you might be surprised at the force those recovery points will see....

I have to agree. They are really high up aren't they.

Must be 6 inches of extra leverage there. Don't get me wrong it's a nice piece of gear but rec points attached to the steering guard would have been better.

My pick-up had them mounted along the chassis rails...

frecovery.jpg

...which seemed to work ok but no winch plate of course.

How do you get on with the winch being so low down? Does the tray fill up with carp too easily?

Marc, looking at your photo have you removed one of the stays that support the bonnet release? Does that affect it's operation?

I've had no problems with it being low down so far, despite burying it in some sticky mud! :D I did make a couple of largish holes in the bottom of the tray so that things would drain out easily. I think they were about 45mm holes.

I removed both of the stays. Not really a problem for me cos I've got rid of the standard bonnet release mechanism and just gone for bonnet pins instead. ;)

apart from the mounting loads caused by high recovery points, wouldnt ones that far above chassis line tend to dig the front of the car in? where as lower mounted ones should help lift the front out of the goo?

Only if the attachment point on the recovering vehicle is lower.

IE the recovery is 'going downhill'

This could be said for all recoveries though, but high recovery points would make

this scenario more susceptable

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's mine...

It's a slightly modified Southdown Bumper picked up from another forum member. Mounts nice and snugly to the front of the car and leaves a *good* approach angle.

* read good for a RRC!!!

RR15.JPG

And a profile shot...

frontprofile.JPG

If it's an auto, you might need to move the oil cooler out of the way... SEE HERE

I finally got around to taking some photos of the finished article. I decided to weld the mounting plate mid way up the chassis rails. It is welded horizontally across the front of the rails, horizontally along the length of the rails, then vertically up the sides and finally horizontally along the front cross member, so is welded in three dimensions if you like. Its stood up to some pretty tough winching so I'm quite pleased with it, although I need to scrap the bumper which is the original with a section removed from the centre and replace it with some welded on box section, as it bends very easily when up against trees.

DSC00906.jpg

post-656-1191670373_thumb.jpg

post-656-1191670394_thumb.jpg

post-656-1191670405_thumb.jpg

no pics at this time, but I got a welded up craddle from www.dap-inc.com and my 10,000 winch dropped right in after some hacking away of the bumper of my RRC. Made 2 - 2" cuts into the lower part of the bumper about 2' across and bend/pounded/folded the heavy bumper metal forward to allow the winch to rotate 90 degrees forward. the mount was pre-drilled, zinc washed, and 1/4" thick. Don't know if DAP sources the mount from the UK or not, but it's faster and cheaper to go this route from my experience mounting on other vehicles that had serious pressure applied to the mounts during their life.

The unit mounts between the bumper mounts. U shaped channel with box welded ends.