186 0R 202 for Land Rover SIII 109

in need of advice. Im nearing the end of getting my 1974 Land Rover SIII 109 blue slipped, but the 186 is still blowing a bit of smoke and most likely needs new valve stem seals and tappet cover, but I could be opening a can of works once I start looking inside, its been sat in a shed for the past 15 years..... Ive found a good condition 202, should I spend the money on reconditioning the 186 or swap it out for the 202? 

cheers

Ok to put you out of your misery (but I dont know why the OP would ask his question on a UK forum).

The Holden 130 to 202 cubic inch engines are a range of 6 cylinder car (tractor) engines fitted to Holden vehicles from the late 40s to the mid 80s.  There are variants (Grey (first types) red (most Common) and later Blue and Black - really all were developments of each other.  Google them for the detail.

The red engines in particular the 161 and the 186 were a standard conversion for Landrovers in Australia in the late 60s to 80s.  Landrover engines were very expensive to repair and fitting the Holden 6 became a standard much cheaper conversion - offering a bit more power but not much more in the way of road speed because of the standard gearing.

Kits were available to so the conversion and authorities gave class engineering approval for the conversion.

I got my series 1 86 in 1977 and it still had its 2 litre engine that was of questionable reliability so in 1979 changed it to a Holden 161 cubic inch 6 cylinder which I ran for the next 6 years as an everyday driver with no real issues.  The Holden 6 could not rev as well as the Rover engine hence it did not have a higher top speed but the Holden had more torque and could pull better through the gears.

The 186 engine was considered the sweetest engine of the lot - it seemed more balanced, revved easier and seemed more relaxed.  The 202 being a larger engine had more power but seemed to work harder to produce what it had.

For the OP - if the issue is just tappets and valves etc then stay with the 186 but if a bottom end rebuild as required it will obvious cost - if the 202 is ready to go straight in then but it in but only on the basis there is little extra cost involved - it will replace the 186 no issues.

Garry

• Like 2

15 hours ago, garrycol said:

The Holden 6 could not rev as well as the Rover engine hence it did not have a higher top speed

I find the top speed of a Series is more about the brakes / handling / noise / vibration than any horsepower issues :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to get up to 70mph in my 56 series 1 with a Holden 161, the valves were bouncing as that engine does not like to rev as the LR 2 litre does but the issue was that at 68mph the death wobbles in the front wheels would settle in. 

Garry

On 3/15/2020 at 4:17 AM, garrycol said:

but I dont know why the OP would ask his question on a UK forum

I thought it was an international forum.

We ought to be embarrassed at the sh!tty welcome the guy got for his first post. 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:06 AM, HERBIE_L4NDY said:

in need of advice. Im nearing the end of getting my 1974 Land Rover SIII 109 blue slipped, but the 186 is still blowing a bit of smoke and most likely needs new valve stem seals and tappet cover, but I could be opening a can of works once I start looking inside, its been sat in a shed for the past 15 years..... Ive found a good condition 202, should I spend the money on reconditioning the 186 or swap it out for the 202? 

Welcome to the forum! 
Any progress since you posted?
I should imagine that the 202 isn't very expensive and for the sake of a few hours putting it in would be the most guaranteed way of knowing it's going to run well and allows you to have a look at the clutch and flywheel and possibly change the oil seal on the input shaft. I ran a 202 in a 109 in New Zealand for a few years and had heard from the garage I worked at that they were prone to throwing rods, I couldn't get it to throw a rod despite trying. Compared to a land rover engine, the 202 pulled significantly better and used less fuel doing so. Something else to consider is that neither the 186 or 202 is suitable for unleaded petrol. It could be that your 186 has damaged valve seats and guides and that new stem seals just mask the problem for a while. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_grieve said:

I thought it was an international forum.

Is it an international forum? - for sure anyone can around the world can post but it is a UK centric forum - just look at where all posters on this thread come from with the exception of myself and the OP.

We have one of the largest Land Rover forums in the world in Australia where there is heaps of knowledge on these engines - so my original question stands - why go to a UK forum where the engine is basically an unknown when you have a perfectly good resource that knows all about these engines on your own doorstep.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:36 PM, Nonimouse said:

And the size of the drivers cajones

In that case insanity and ignorance must be a good replacement for cajones as I used to overtake any Defenders I saw in front of me after catching them up first at a 100.

4 hours ago, garrycol said:

We have one of the largest Land Rover forums in the world in Australia where there is heaps of knowledge on these engines

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/holden-powered-series-land-rovers/

True, it was only secs to find this site.

Anyway, welcome Herby_L4ndy and lets see some pics please?