Wiper spindles early in TD5 Holes

Hi Everyone, I have almost finished fitting a galvanised TD5 bulkhead on my 200TDi Defender, One of the problems along the way was the later square holes for the wiper spindles, "solved" by buying new TD5 style wiper boxes, although I got every thing connected up ok, the sweep is limited I guess the wheels inside are different diameters :(

Has any one else found this problem ? and made up some adaptor to overcome this issue? I've got at least one more TD5 galvanised bulkhead to swap (onto my other  earlier 90) so need to solve this?

Might be a great project for a self isolating engineer  :) ?

Thanks Angus     

Thanks for that Ralph , but the only things that have been changed the spindle boxes and the wipers swept enough before, Britrest on Youtube did a great video about moving the pin on the gear out to increase sweep but I don’t think it could be moved out enough to make enough difference ☹️

I’ve got both types of wheel boxes in the workshop I’ll check for you if the gears are the same, but I’ve been doing a mod using disco wiper rods and used td5 wheel boxes on my 300tdi as they’re more secure in the bulkhead and I’m sure there’s no difference , at least you’ll know then they’re not the problem.

30 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

TD5's are bigger western the one on the left complete is from a TDi  , sorry Steve I butchered them for the wiper upgrade with disco rods . What do you mean by the shells ? The silver bits that clamp the tube together ?

Yep, I thought 'shells' would be a good name, but you must be on the same wave length as 'the silver bits that clamp the tube together' also make perfect sense!

Not to worry, I'm still procuring the parts I need and all this info it handy to know!

Steve

Edited by steve200TDi

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

TD5's are bigger western the one on the left complete is from a TDi  , sorry Steve I butchered them for the wiper upgrade with disco rods . What do you mean by the shells ? The silver bits that clamp the tube together ?

Cheers for the info 

@steve200TDi I cut all the shell off apart from a small circular bit as it wasn't needed , should be back on the project latter in the week and back on the wiper's . I had them running before I lost interest had to alter the bar size's as they were out but all was well when I finished just needed to work out how to mount the motor , if you want any pics of how far I've got on anything specific pm me and i'll post them up for you , but most are in my dash thread .

22 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Yep, I thought 'shells' would be a good name, but you must be on the same wave length as 'the silver bits that clamp the tube together' also make perfect sense!

Not to worry, I'm still procuring the parts I need and all this info it handy to know!

Steve

Yes the whole wheel box assembly is bigger than the old type. The td5 also has the wiper boxes 180 degrees out with the rack and cable entering from the lower side instead of the higher side. If you are using the old wiper motor, rack and cabling with new td5 gear you have to orientate the wiper boxes with cable on upper side and trim away the central dash mounting bracket slightly as this gets in the way of the cable run.

For better to fit late td5 dash and wiper motor / rack as the more direct route of cabling helps the wiper motor operate better as far less drag on cable.

22 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

@steve200TDi I cut all the shell off apart from a small circular bit as it wasn't needed , should be back on the project latter in the week and back on the wiper's . I had them running before I lost interest had to alter the bar size's as they were out but all was well when I finished just needed to work out how to mount the motor , if you want any pics of how far I've got on anything specific pm me and i'll post them up for you , but most are in my dash thread .

I see, that's fine. I await your wiper progress in the other thread!

Steve

I found out about the TD5 ones going the opposite  way when I turned the wipers on luckily I had pulled  the arms away front the new windscreen to stop them scratching it so no harm done , I’ve turned the TD5 boxes up the other way and have working wipers with limited sweep , I don’t want to spend loads on a new dash so I’m going to have a go at remodelling the TD5 ones to take old spindles , wishing I had broken the car instead of going to the expense and hassle of changing the bulkhead, I’m out of pocket big time now  ☹️