Wipers

In Britpart defence I have a 1x brand new genuine Land Rover wiper wheel box in landrover packaging sat on bench for my lightweight. I ordered a single Britpart OEM wiper wheel box to match it out of curiosity and it is identical to the landrover one, same multi digit production code stamped on the pressings.

There’s plenty wrong with most of their stuff!

I had some new wiper boxes from them and they had as much play as the old ones, so I had to get a Gen Parts pair.  The Britpart wiper drive cable was about 8” too long and had to be cut down to fit inside the dash.  I suspect this is the main cause for the excessive arc my wipers have when wet above 30mph.

The Britpart wiper drive cable was about 8” too long and had to be cut down to fit inside the dash

I had to cut down my genuine wiper cable once it was fitted, 

the wiper arc travel is determined by the motor drive gear there are numerous sweep degrees, https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/14w-wiper-drive-gear/

the degree range increases in 5 degree increments from 90 to 130, most 90/110 have the 115 gear. it should be marked on the gear.

The wiper motor and gear weren’t replaced, so arc should not have changed.  I think it’s the springiness in the helix of the cable, with the right hand end having been cut off and no longer being welded to the cable core.

I may try some small welds between cable and helix outside the range of the cable that passes through each single box to stop it from springing.  There would still be plenty of flex where it passes through the bends in the guide tubes.

But the point is that Britpart routinely sell stuff that is unfit for purpose and doesn’t even fit dimensionally where it is meant to go.

Not wishing to highjack this thread as it is in danger of changing topic!?!

Britpart DO supply SOME extremely good quality and OE parts at affordable prices!...….. Sadly these ARE few and far between, and as Snagger points out the majority is not worth considering!

Unfortunately for us there is NO way of telling before we buy which is the GOOD, BAD and the UGLY!?!......It is usually comes down to word of mouth due to someone else's experience with buying Britpart parts whether it be for reasons of affordability or availability to inform us if it is fit for purpose or not!?!

Thus at times it is a mere guessing game with Britpart and a game if you choose to play, that CAN become costly in time and money!

Exactly, Mutley.  Unfortunately, the mor that people buy the cheap, shoddy Britpart rubbish, the more the better suppliers of decent parts get squeezed out, so those willing to buy more expensive components to do the job correctly won’t have the chance.  So, while Britpart do indeed sell a minority of decent parts, it is still counterproductive for us to buy them; once they have a monopoly, even those lines will drop their standards.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:35 PM, kevin50 said:

Yes Mate Britpart.  Watched this Vid  he has the same one and this was the problem, done as he said and fixed.   Might cancel the other one and just get the bit that the wiper arm fits on to,  save taking the Motor and everything else back out.

and exact same problem 

That's an interesting video!

Will check mine now!

Steve

• Like 1