Is this worth saving?

paime

To just get it useable or to restore it with correct period interior and transmission?  That makes a big difference.  I’d imagine the latter not to be very easy, but the former shouldn’t be too bad for anyone who has rebuilt vehicles before and is handy with a welder.

For a sympathetic but practical job, it’d be viable if you have sprue skills and it’s as described, but the location suggests a lot of salt, and some people’s description of rust damage is more optimistic than others!

That's been fairly pillaged, you'd pretty much need a very similar donar vehicle to move it forward anyway. Would be possibly a decent start to a full shell rebuild, then you could find another 3dr with a totally rotten body and swap it all...

Well the harder stuff (external panels) are there, it comes with a serviceable engine & box, so if you only want it to be a solid-but-scruffy classic runabout I'd say it's a doable project, very similar to my one.

Getting it concours would be a lot harder as all the correct little bits & bobs are where it adds up badly - if you're happy throwing Disco seats in and the "wrong" interior / dash / trim etc. it's easy enough, but to do it properly is a major job.

36 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

Do an outrageous conversion of some sort 😉

If only i had the creativity! I do like the idea of an RRC but i think i'm going to give that one a miss. Something that can act as a rolling restoration would be better i think.

I do know of a 1972 3 door that is for all intents and purposes rust free and been parked up in a dry barn for the last 20 years with a blown head gasket. Not sure if it's the original engine (recall it might have an SD1 one in there) but I think there was a period correct 3.5 sat in the barn as well. I think it's been valued for probate at a not unreasonable but hefty price tag.

There's also another 3 door body shell and chassis because the owner (now deceased) was paranoid about rust on it. But there's also a soft-dash classic (diesel rather than petrol I think) that got rear ended. Was part way through a conversion to pick-up / tray-back but I suggested that they sell the (new) 110 Hi-Cap tub separately and then sell the soft-dash with the spare chassis and body-shell.

Apologies about the carp photo - the bits stored on the roof rack are now in my barn (new roof for the Sandringham 6x6). I can't remember the exact details but I have a vague recollection that it was an official support vehicle for some rally hence the lighting setup and some of the livery.

DSC_0041.thumb.JPG.d66579c8a4822681e6ef625699f5140f.JPG

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Well it's MOT exempt and comes with an engine & box, so technically it could be rolling... :ph34r:

Plenty of rolling but maybe not so much stopping....

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

I do know of a 1972 3 door that is for all intents and purposes rust free and been parked up in a dry barn for the last 20 years with a blown head gasket.

What would the value on that sort of thing be? I've been perusing fleabay for a while now but the prices people ask are baffling. It's the same as the defender market I think - some very unrealistic sellers out there.

11 hours ago, paime said:

What would the value on that sort of thing be? I've been perusing fleabay for a while now but the prices people ask are baffling. It's the same as the defender market I think - some very unrealistic sellers out there.

I have no idea, asked my friend and he said make an offer 🤷‍♂️. Unfortunately not the most convenient for you to have a look being near Swindon. Slightly complicated situation because the owner died suddenly without a will so his mother inherited most of the stuff automatically I think. The mutual friend we had / I have has a tendency to underestimate everything.

E.g. the 6x6 he said needed a few things sorted before the MOT and we know how that went. It wasn't a huge amount, in terms of there was no welding etc, but there was a lot of time chasing dodgy connections, cleaning fuel system etc. I think I paid a reasonable price given the rarity of the vehicle but it was probably closer to the upper end of it given it didn't have an MOT. Having a few days after I picked it up on a trailer I had someone offer me 2.5x what I paid for it.

12 hours ago, paime said:

Thanks for following up, Ed. I won't be able to get a look at it due to covid for a while but if there's a wee deal to be done then I'm all ears!

Still struggling to get my head round values of these things... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264653499618

Sorry should have been clearer there's virtually no rust on it at all from my quick glance over. Neil kept the vehicles in a pretty good mechanical state. Because it was a pretty much original '72 3 door (he was trying to source a period correct engine for it at the time, might have actually got one somewhere in the barn) when a chassis and bodyshell came up for sale he bought it just in case it ever got to the point of needing replacement.

Case in point when I looked over the 6x6 although the chassis looks rusty it's actually only surface rust - no holes that I've found anywhere. The only reason I haven't stripped it back and galvanised it yet is that there's likely an engine swap and a few modifications happening in the near future so will wait until those happen before stripping down and getting it galvanised. I'm lucky there's a place just down the road from me that I can drop off the chassis on a Tuesday morning before 9am and it's back on Thursday at cost (and fairly cheap because they get a bulk discount I think).

Sorry, already offered them £101 expecting someone to come in at £100 :P.

The full extent of the story I know behind it isn't much, it blew a head gasket 20 odd years ago and was parked up in the barn and never got around to being fixed... What with the multitude of other vehicle he had. There's also a 6-cylinder 109 county with safari roof in the barn too. Don't think it's the original 6 cylinder but think it did leave the factory as one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

One that's that good I'd expect JLR will buy it and restore it and flog it on for 100k as they appear to be doing with them now.

Not sure JLR can afford to buy anything at the moment until they get their government bail out!

2 hours ago, Daan said:

If you have space, you could just buy it, leave it for 10 years, and ebay it again, certainly better than putting money in the bank at the moment.

Bits are no problem by the looks of it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Classic-Spares-Large-Amount-Of-Parts-In-Stock-Breaking/114227030831?hash=item1a98762b2f:g:dD0AAOSwjMBcftB6

I have the space but not the permission of the wife (yet...)