New speakers

russianfrog

Hi everyone,

Since my kids have turned on the volume in the CD player of our Defender 2007, the sound isn't right. Not that it was great before, but still. The basses beats sound like a empty cardboard and it isn't pretty.

The serial number is XQM 500550 45EM805 and I found an (expensive) equivalent on LR Direct. Yet, I am sure I can find a good substitute out of the LR genuine parts .Any brand would do I reckon.

Any suggestion what to look for? I don't need anything special, just a robust pair of speakers.

Brand, characterisitcs, any tip is welcome!

IMG_3291.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact: I've asked my trusted LR service guys, and while they are of course able to order for me a (pricey) pair of new speakers, they were unable to tell the power of if the speakers in question.

Anyone knows the power of the regular speakers (as displayed in my picture)?

Goede Morgen,

Diameter = leading here.

We use Pioneer in the various LR's and they seem to to a good job.

They were bought in bulk (cheaper) and are the 150 Watts variety

What radio do you have ?

3 hours ago, russianfrog said:

Interesting fact: I've asked my trusted LR service guys, and while they are of course able to order for me a (pricey) pair of new speakers, they were unable to tell the power of if the speakers in question.

Anyone knows the power of the regular speakers (as displayed in my picture)?

LR seem to hide the manufacturer which makes it difficult to narrow down the model and it's specs. The 'made in UK' sticker says a lot as around about that time JLR was in bed with Bowers and Wilkins and I think they manufacture in the UK so that really narrows it down.

If it doesn't have B&W labelling then can't be certain. In a lot of cars a standard small speaker like that is anywhere between 10-30w and above that they start putting brand names in to advertise them as an upgrade even though every speaker in the range is from that maker.

Long way of saying I don't if but it might help you work it out. The build details for the car would likely say all of that info.

Edited by ThreePointFive

5 hours ago, Arjan said:

They were bought in bulk (cheaper) and are the 150 Watts variety

What radio do you have ?

Thank you for the information.

We've changed our kaput LR radio some years ago and got a Pioneer DEH-S300BT. I'm still using CDs and enjoy listenting to them in the Defender.

Those look like they are from the underside of the dash, and therefore 100mm (4") diameter. No speaker of this size makes much bass to begin with.

The best option is not just to fit good quality speakers, but also larger diameter ones.  It is possible (I've done it) to fit 5.25" units in this position if you don't mind a bit of dash surgery. Good speakers are generally quite deep, and this location doesn't fare to well it that department with the wiper motor in the way.

I fitted some 5.25" Kicker speakers as replacements and am very pleased with the sound output.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kicker-DS-13cm-5-25-130mm-200-Watts-2-Way-Car-Coaxial-Front-Rear-Door-Speakers/174232849534

image.png.4f3ab9c8966f7035723f2f6daf1c663f.png