Rear tub wheel box modification 110 van

Hi everyone,

We are pretty new Defender owners and would really appreciate your advice on a query regarding the rear wheel boxes. We have a 110 TD5 van (2002) and are trying to create more space in the rear tub to fit some gear for overlanding. The previous owners have cut holes in the rear wheel boxes behind the front seats to create additional storage space (see photos). We would ideally like to remove this section of wheel box altogether, from the front of the wheel arch to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat (to fit a fridge). Does anyone know if it’s ok to do this? Obviously on the station wagon version the wheel box doesn’t extend this far forwards, so it makes sense to us that we should be able to cut this piece out in front of the wheel arch. But has anyone ever done this and are there any things we should consider before going ahead? Appreciate we may be missing something! Thanks in advance.

Wheel box 1.jpeg

Wheel box 2.jpeg

Wheel box 3.jpeg

I would be adding some structure (small section box/angle etc) along the line of the original wheel box both on the floor and side panel. The SW has an extra crossmember in this area to support the rear tub, where as the hard top relies on the wheel box shape running to the bulkhead for stiffness.

Mike

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I would be adding some structure (small section box/angle etc) along the line of the original wheel box both on the floor and side panel. The SW has an extra crossmember in this area to support the rear tub, where as the hard top relies on the wheel box shape running to the bulkhead for stiffness.

Mike

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

What Mike said above. The Station Wagon has additional structure here to support where boxes end.

Mo

The station wagon also has a massive door shaped hole in the body 😛

@Snagger Looks nice; do you have any pics of the finished project?

@Dfndr I'm curious to see the current and future shape of your project too.

A bit Off Topic: Having a HT for travel myself, I'm not too sure if its the ideal type, we always find ourselves dancing around each other at the rear door, mostly because the stove is on a fold down table at the door. I have changed the windows by gullwing types of Explore - this post made me do a write-up in the International forum.

Always curious to see how others customise their HT, I really like this one

Joris

Edited by Vogler
Edit: addressed the first question to wrong person.

Thanks for the replies everyone, really helpful to have your thoughts - we've decided to give it a try this weekend and will post some pictures here to update. Useful to know we should add in some additional structure, this was something we'd wondered about.

Also great to see some pictures of other builds, plenty of inspiration! Happy to share some photos of our project as it progresses ☺️