Salvage parts of value

Mo Murphy

I've just read an article on BBC news about the export of old cars to Africa.

They quote claims that these cars are dangerous because they've had certain systems removed and then crudely bodged to make good. They say that these items have great value on the salvage markets.

I can understand cats and their precious metal content but they also claim anti-lock braking systems and airbags are also commonly removed for resale prior to export.

Is there a market for secondhand abs and airbag components ?

Mo

BBC News - Climate change: 'Dangerous and dirty' used cars sold to Africa
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54665545

• Mo Murphy changed the title to Salvage parts of value

Yeah, airbags pop in a crash and new ones cost £££, hence a lot of cars get written off because a proper repair job involves new airbags and trim (remember they're in the dash, the seats, the roof, etc. these days!) - if you can remove working ones from cars before they go you can fix up a salvage motor in the UK for cheap and sell it for good money as well as flogging an old banger to Africa.

Likely similar story with ABS ECU's and the like - if the Freelander is anything to go by, the ABS unit was in the front corner so would get smashed in a front-end shunt.

I think the problem of cars being stripped before sold is only one aspect. I'm sure it happens, often exporting an old car is merely an alternative for taking it in for scrap, so it makes sense to take out any parts that have resale value. As long as the car still runs/drives as it should of course. ABS, airbags etc are nice, but no way necessary. 

What the article focusses on, is most cars for export are old and therefore no longer meet current environmental and safety regulations, even if complete and working. The example given is most don't meet Euro4. Which makes perfect sense: with more and more cities banning older emission classes and taxes often increased for older vehicles these have little value in our regions. But they can offer an affordable way into car ownership in developping countries. In my book it's better to give the cars a second (or third, ...) life over there instead of going to the crusher here. Even with intensive recycling the manufacturing of a new vehicle still has a large impact.

Filip

• Like 3

If you look at the condition of most vehicles in the developing world and the “creative engineering” that goes into keeping them going, then EU vehicles with things like airbags and ABS parts removed are a lot safer and less polluting.  It’s all relative.

• Like 2

I suspect it's not so much recently MoT expired used cars from the UK that are the problem, but the smashed up premium salvage cars that get snapped up by east European bidders on Copart etc that no doubt go back to a chop shed somewhere that makes frankencars with shiny paint jobs that get bought by middle class buyers in Africa who want a nice looking merc or beemer for decent sums of money. If you're buying a 250+bhp car, an air bag & abs is probably usefull.   

The guys rolling round in 30yr old peugeots held together with fence twine and angle iron can't afford the high import duties & taxes so can only dream of an 04 plate kia picanto, with or without airbags.