Towing question

reads90

Ok want some of your opions on this

Need to tow my off road camper trailer. Weighs 750 loaded but will be doing about 2 hours on a motorway and then a couple or so days driving in sand dunes and beach. So alot of sand

I have two trucks that i am trying to work out which would be better for the job. Both will be going togther inconvoy, both with two people in each (plus their carp). Both have snorkles, bull bar winches, both have long range tanks and split charge batteries

One is my 1995 300 tdi 90 and the other is a discovery 1995 300 Tdi.

Which one would better for towing the trailer on the sand and up and down the beach. Basically it is for a trip to fraser island

Ali

the 90 as the GTW will be lower

mmm was think this too tony. also the 90 show have a better power to weight ratio , is my thinking also. wiehter this makes alot of differance

Or the other thing that i was think was if the extra weight of the Disco made an advantage in the sand to the 90, considering you are towing a trailer

mmmm but sand saping the fuekl and V8 mixed with no petrol staions for miles and miles . Don't go well either :):)

Oh

what to do

What do I drive to the beach in while my kid brother sits stressed in a cold wet site office in the crapy UK wheather reading this post

My hart bleeds for you both LR's will tow it easy

You GIT

:lol::lol::lol:

mmmm but sand saping the fuekl and V8 mixed with no petrol staions for miles and miles . Don't go well either :):)

There's a few petrol stations on the island, Eurong, Orchid beach, and I think Kingfisher bay. You could always stick a jerry or two in the trailer. I drove a tdi 110 round and it was hard work, have to keep the turbo spinning all the time in the soft stuff, would have been much easier and more fun with a V8. And don't complain about the fuel being more expensive than the mainland cos it still bloody cheaper than here :angry:

Oh and what Jules said, you GIT :)

Oh

what to do

What do I drive to the beach in while my kid brother sits stressed in a cold wet site office in the crapy UK wheather reading this post

My hart bleeds for you both LR's will tow it easy

You GIT

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey you will be driving one of them anyway when you come over. I take it you will want the disco over the 90 anyway :)

Ok want some of your opions on this

Need to tow my off road camper trailer. Weighs 750 loaded but will be doing about 2 hours on a motorway and then a couple or so days driving in sand dunes and beach. So alot of sand

I have two trucks that i am trying to work out which would be better for the job. Both will be going togther inconvoy, both with two people in each (plus their carp). Both have snorkles, bull bar winches, both have long range tanks and split charge batteries

One is my 1995 300 tdi 90 and the other is a discovery 1995 300 Tdi.

Which one would better for towing the trailer on the sand and up and down the beach. Basically it is for a trip to fraser island

Ali

Given the replies above.. hoping you actually want a proper response....

The choice IMHO will be the Disco, heavier and more stable. Towed a large Caravan all over the UK and Europe with a 300 tdi Disco, never missed a beat, probably could have done the same with a 90, but the shorter wheel base would have made the outfit a bit more twitchy....

I would use the 80 series cruiser that anyone moving to Aus would buy. None of this Disco/90 boll*x

Nah can't buy a TOYota as i have not have the operation yet :) Plus with comments like that you on the wrong forum

Plus compaired to the landy , and i mean seening them in the outback . They can't cope with the off roading the landies can

Given the replies above.. hoping you actually want a proper response....

The choice IMHO will be the Disco, heavier and more stable. Towed a large Caravan all over the UK and Europe with a 300 tdi Disco, never missed a beat, probably could have done the same with a 90, but the shorter wheel base would have made the outfit a bit more twitchy....

mmm now that was my think. I had the two thing weighing on my mind. That the 90 has a lower gearing and bit more power to weight. But the diosco is a bit more staedy with the longer wheel base and heaver , so0 both have their pluses and misses. Hence why i just wanted a bit of feed back as to what everyone's thought was

after towing a caravan with :

freelander

I'm amazed to say the Freelander was the easiest to tow with (auto-cruise control)

the110 with the extra power and longer wheel base was slightly better than the 90.

still in your instance I'd use the 90

Id use the Disco for the motorway/road work because you will have a more stable combination, the put the trailer on the 90 for the off road work. Also the Disco will make a good ground anchor should you need to recover the 90 & trailer.

I would use the 80 series cruiser that anyone moving to Aus would buy. None of this Disco/90 boll*x

hehheh, good answer

i should think a 4.2 would make life soooo much easier towing than a 2.5.

although they get a lot of poverty spec ones there sans turbo, so you could end up with one of those :(

Nah can't buy a TOYota as i have not have the operation yet :) Plus with comments like that you on the wrong forum

Plus compaired to the landy , and i mean seening them in the outback . They can't cope with the off roading the landies can

Go that was funny, I laughed so much I almost choked! You are a funny man, a very funny man!

Hi,

Got both a Disco and 110, and owned 90's until the family got too big..... hauling livestock around and the family boat with significantly more weight.

Can't see there is much choice, if you want to put the trailer anywhere it has to be the 90, stability on the road shouldn't be an issue. The only thing the disco has going for it (slightly) is the comfort factor.

Rgds - Peter