Not VOSA - DVSA - engine change

Cutting a long story short my S3 Lightweight had an engine transplant some 15 yrs ago before I bought it. It went from 2.25 standard to 3.5V8 with the logbook being amended accordingly. Ive spent the last few years rebuilding it and I've fitted a 300tdi. Come to register the change on DVSA and it tells me I have to have a written letter from the garage that did the work. No garage did the work. I did it. So I'm stuck

Has anyone had any experience as to the way forward here?

Thank you.

In the past I have changed engines just by writing to DVLA, but a couple of years ago they asked me for exactly that for my Range Rover 'classic' (also v8 to 300tdi), I was fortunate in that I was able to get a letter. I suppose the easiest solution is a friendly garage who is willing to provide .... or try and get (pay) a Land Rover indy to examine the conversion and state that it has been carried out to a satisfactory standard. In my experience now DVSA put notes on the system, once you get something like that requested it will be there whoever you speak to or deal with in the future so you are kind of stuck with it. 

I believe its not the standard of the work they are interested in, but the provenance of the engine or whatever, that has been fitted.

Probably so that they can count up how many originality points you have used up, and then sting you for an SVA, Q plate etc.

Its all about the money they can rinse out of you, in my opinion 

8 hours ago, smallfry said:

Probably so that they can count up how many originality points you have used up, and then sting you for an SVA, Q plate etc.

Its all about the money they can rinse out of you, in my opinion 

Whilst they are probably counting points the engine I worth only one from memory. These days they seem hell bent on not giving out Q plates, I had to convince them I wanted a Q on the ibex.

Mike

• Like 1

Just write a letter saying you fitted it and specify the engine's origin's (provide some proof), state that it's fitted using LR parts, i.e. bellhousing for LR, LR engine mounts, LR fuel system, exhaust system follows a safe route, air intake is not in passenger compartment, etc. Stick in some nice pictures showing the quality fitment. 

Wait and see what happens. Worst case you have to get a garage to put in on headed paper.

I spoke with a local garage about this when I get around to upgrading the 6x6's engine and they were quite happy to drop the vehicle off, they'll check the engine number and write a letter stating that yes it's been installed safely. MOT guy would do the "inspection".

Mind you - does help he's a Land Rover nut and really enjoyed seeing the Sandringham.