25th ladoga trophy

Jimmymad99

I'm definitely a little more reserved than ash but we made a great team. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:You also have to remember I had to give the truck back to my by that point ex-girlfriend when I got back (yes doing ladoga was a partial cause of a relationship break up :stretcher-smiley-emoticon:). A few moments stick in my mind the first is burying the front of 45 up to the windscreen and needing a quadruple line pull to drag the truck and around 2 ton of mud through (the jeep next to us sank in around 5 feet of muddy water). Second was snapping a 11mm dyneena whilst dragging the truck between two trees that were narrower than the truck (this destroyed both mirrors and door handles necessitating a bungee across our laps to keep the doors closed). Third was reaching the end of stage having put 3 tyres back on the rims during, to be told "your the first non proto truck to finish" (proto had a different route but the same finish) and discovering the tubular crossmember was so bent it was touching the bottom of the gearbox. 

mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

Is the 109 in the video yours Fridge?

Yes, that's me and dirtydiesel recovering Escape from a sticky situation on the last day. It was good fun - the 109 doesn't have a winch so we couldn't get near them without risking getting the 109 stuck, makes you think a LOT harder when you're the only ones for 20km in the forest and there's no cellphone reception.

Found another good pic - here's the support crew driving the road to one of the camps;

JU_080602-13-50-58.JPG

And here's yours truly driving into stage to go and fetch some idiot who's sunk his car - reckon I did about 20km of green laning with a twin-axle car trailer on before we had to abandon the vehicles and go on foot;

eddie_trailer_offroad.jpg

Team salute, natch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

And here's yours truly driving into stage to go and fetch some idiot who's sunk his car - reckon I did about 20km of green laning with a twin-axle car trailer on before we had to abandon the vehicles and go on foot;

eddie_trailer_offroad.jpg

Team salute, nat

If you're going to sink it, then do it with style :lol:

I was explaining about the video with the wife who is always up for this sort of stuff until i told her you couldn't get the cars close enough so had to walk a few k with the equipment to get to it as the environment was impassable.

Did you trailer Mouse back or did you get the fluids replaced and Jez limp back to the trailer? I lost the bit on the video when he said you lot had to walk to him.

22 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Did you trailer Mouse back or did you get the fluids replaced and Jez limp back to the trailer? I lost the bit on the video when he said you lot had to walk to him.

We did half a service basically where it sank (as night was falling), Jez and Kimi drove it out and we all drove back to camp exchanging sleep-deprivation-related hallucinations on the CB, pausing only for the dried swamp moss in Mouse's under-guard to catch fire.

• Like 2

With regards to the reliability, I suppose the car you are intending to use has been used in UK events before? Reason I ask is that it is probably wise to take with you equipment that is proven to work reliably in the past; So no new projects like winches etc, that has not been proven. Ladoga cannot be a test ground basically; you have to be confident that what you bring is reliable.

The stages are about 30km per day, from memory, with an 8 hour DNF time. More than you ever do in a weekend in a UK event. And then do it again tomorrow. and the day after.

The way I approach these events usually is not to improve the car, but to service it very well. For ladoga, the only thing we changed was the tyres and we added a tank guard.

I dug up the thread of preparing the car:

No major projects, I just replaced a lot of parts that might go wrong for new ones. I decided to go for the mudzillas in the same diameter as my simex tyres but 3" wider. I knew 35" would be reliable (I did not take a spare diff) and the wider footprint would give me more flotation, together with the option of airing down to almost nothing. The saley wheels are modular rims (8x15) that are cut in half with flanges welded in to create a split rim and 16" PVC drain pipe as inserts. The tyres and wheels performed faultless.

Obviously, the approach of fitting new parts didn't stop me having problems. In hindsight I would have bought a genuine new alternator and added a guard around the sump.

Official 2009 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmBmGW9SVls&list=PLzdd2_OztTmSPz-nDbFPfTGgK4bVjnAuI&index=40

Only part3 sees some decent action, the other parts are mainly russian chat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

TOR_Colin_Al_Ladoga_Daan.pdf 17.25 MB · 0 downloads

Just found the Total Off Road scan that features Daan's truck as well as Colin & Al's account of the 2009 event in TR1 in their SJ.

Proper article.... none of the 'I paid for a leather interior to be fitted' 'builds'. 

• Like 2

Ladoga_Useful_Points.wpt

Not sure how useful this is, my Ladoga laptop is complaining about not having been powered up for a decade so this was the only GPS file I could find on my home system - there's a few of the camp sites in there plus fuel stations and Halfordskis that I managed to tag in Ozi whilst driving past on the grounds that we may need to find the nearest one in a hurry later. I'm sure I've got a way more comprehensive version somewhere.

Also bear in mind these were tagged in 2009 at the latest so lord knows what's changed since then!

• Like 1

ladoga 2008.wptladoga 2007.zipLadoga_09_edited.wpt

Here's a different version, maybe a few more useful points in the 2008 /9 ones as well as (some) stage waypoints, plus 2007's organiser-supplied waypoints for the various classes.

2009 also contains the coordinates of Mouse's sinking :lol: so look out if you're routed that way!

On 12/6/2020 at 12:39 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

ladoga 2008.wpt 35.63 kB · 1 download ladoga 2007.zip 67.21 kB · 3 downloads Ladoga_09_edited.wpt 46.81 kB · 2 downloads

Here's a different version, maybe a few more useful points in the 2008 /9 ones as well as (some) stage waypoints, plus 2007's organiser-supplied waypoints for the various classes.

2009 also contains the coordinates of Mouse's sinking :lol: so look out if you're routed that way!

Call me thick but i can't find a suitable program to open these with :wacko:

Any tips?

On 12/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Shame about that scruffy git in Halfordskis :ph34r: did you get a picture of the Lada fan that fitted the 200TDi perfectly?

Indeed, he is making a gesture referring to No1. I must have a picture of this somewhere, but not to hand i am afraid.