25th ladoga trophy

Jimmymad99

We went out with flying spanners as did daan but we were essentially on our own our team consisted of our 90 and Dan/Jen in camel 110 both doing tourist plus Ryan in a 110 with spares etc. You had to carry your own clothes and camping gear plus food/water for two days or more (this all needs to be in a waterproof case). Ryan carried extra clothes, tools, spares etc and moved between camps. The camel retired on day one after a particular hard first stage and became our part of our support crew. We waited for them after stage 1 and eventually went back in to help get them out. We got to camp at 5am! After a 120 mile leason. From day 1 on the two 110's would go from camp to camp and meet us there ready with food and tools (they did manage some spectating and meet us at the end of stage where possible). It is possible to do it without support but you will need to carry everything yourselves. Our crew drove there, competed and back without trailers or tow cars hence Dan towing daan on a rope some 600 miles.

Mike

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, Jimmymad99 said:

I will be carrying spares got full ashcroft  cvs shafts plus full set of spares 4.75 kam ring pinion  pegged with the strong old school electric diff locks 

Iv got a par of hydraulic type r winches on at moment  but busy machining up god winch 

Not shaw what's best  or run one of each 

Well putting my HOFS hat on I'd say you're mad to carry that lot as spares and you want to encourage someone to be your support truck to lug everything you don't absolutely need to survive from camp to camp and have the kettle on when you rock in. I heard it said that the basic stuff the support crew did (get the tent up, sleeping bags etc. laid out, a set of dry clothes, and coffee + food ready to go) made a huge difference compared to rocking in and having to do it all yourself + then service the truck as well.

Weight adds up quick and even if you're going to see "limited" swamp (ha ha) there's a lot of soft ground and deep water, everything in the vehicle is going to get submerged, covered in sh*te, rattled around, damaged, etc. - dry bags and peli cases are your friends.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, Escape said:

The ferry from Germany to Helsinki is great in that respect: it cuts down on driving time and forces you to relax. You can't get to your vehicles, so nothing to do but eat, sleep and drink. 🙂

Amen to the Hellstinki ferry - overall it takes similar time & costs as much as you'd save in fuel but it's an enforced ~24 hours of chilling and there's a lot to be said for that.

As Escape's photo attests, long ropes/extensions seem to be useful - I remember @dirtydiesel bringing enough rope & strops to reach the moon and saying if he ever went back he'd bring even more.

On trailers, the Europeans have an advantage as theirs are registered separately and have papers and their own reg plates - and in Russia *everything* must have papers. Make sure all your papers are in order - serial numbers matching etc.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, Jimmymad99 said:

I'd love to see the maps 

I'll see what I can dig out, I've got maps & GPS logs but they may not be very organised :ph34r:

On 12/1/2020 at 2:31 PM, Jimmymad99 said:

Tough book and ozi explorer and   iv got a waterproof  pc built in dash its an old windows touch screen till 12v as well with GPS receiver

A cheap "oh f***" GPS that runs on batteries and can take a basic set of Garmin waypoints as an emergency backup is worth it.

We found radios didn't travel well in the woods etc. and I believe phone reception is pretty good these days, Jez took a SPOT tracker as a backup that could send an "OK / Not OK / SOS" at the push of a button.

...videos uploading now, it may take some time.... better post a build thread for your truck in the meantime ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'd forgotten that Dan went... what did he go in? 

Range rover that had to be scrapped when he got back, it was so badly damaged.

On a side note it was about October I started building 45 for Ladoga so you've got plenty of time to get yours done in time @landroversforever:stirthepot:

Mike

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 10:47 AM, Jimmymad99 said:

Our one big problem  is no tech crew we are going on our own backs  we tried to go 10 years ago but failed after both me and co pilot  got insured 

So wear do you guys leave your trailers ect once u made it over there or do your tech end up towing them around

@Escape what did u do carry all your kits and spares or did u have help 

The first and last year we had a support crew. As @FridgeFreezersays, after a hard day offroad arriving in a camp with a tent and a meal waiting is priceless! Not to mention assistance with the car etc. But it's not easy finding a support crew, we can attest to that! We did take trailers, and our support crew towed them 'round the lake. A challenge on it's own. In 2012 competitors were allowed to be trailered between stages. Which I think is a shame, 'cause it favors custom build racecars that would have a hard time covering the total distance. We had a trailer, but I still drove Mouse out of St Pete's and to the start of the stage. 🙂 The support crew stayed for the start and then headed to the camp with the trailer. We also had a close support car, that waited for us at the finish, just in case we needed assistance. As it turned out we did...

When we did Grand Tourism in 2010 and 2011 we carried everything ourselves. In 2010 we were just one car, so didn't have a choice. In 2011 I actually carried tools and spares for the 2 other cars as well. Luckily we didn't need much, but we tried to be prepared for everything. It does add some weight, which is a big disadvantage, though the P38 didn't really seem to mind. And despite careful packing, stuff got rattled and thrown around on the faster stages. We did have everything organized so it didn't take long to set up camp. Grand Tourism (Grand Adventure) could be combined with support duty, might make it easier to find a crew as they'd have the opportunity for some nice offroading as well.

As for communications, we found the mobile reception improved over the years. First year you'd see people standing on the roof of the car trying to get a signal, last year it was rare not to have coverage except when deep in stage..

Filip

13 hours ago, Jimmymad99 said:

@FridgeFreezer its finding  people that want to go to as support  is the hardest bit we got a but of help with paper work co piolts better half is Latvian and  her bother in law is Russian and travels lot back home they are going to help with getting that side organised  with us

Having someone who can speak the lingo and can grease your path across the border is well worth it. Mind you, I got off fairly lightly with the DPC by playing being the ignorant foreigner who didn't understand what they were talking about - don't argue, just pay the £4 fine bribe and go about your day.

Russian bureaucracy is pure 1950's, the border guards have a gun in a holster on one hip and a rubber stamp in a holster on the other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@FridgeFreezer

thank u for uploading those vids , just watched 2008 , will watch the other tonight. I’m pretty sure I’ve already watched them on YouTube but no harm in another viewing. 
one question , was it jez and/or the HOFS that first entered Ladoga in The Pig , the bobtailed bullnosed RR Classic ,or am I thinking of someone else ?

4 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Watching the videos, it does look like hard work and a lot of fun

That's the short version yes :lol: although Jez naturally chose the hardest route doing proto.

The biggest thing really that I learned is the amount of preparation you need, as I said earlier it's very different doing a weekend's off-roading in the UK where you're surrounded by LR folk who may have a spare diff or whatever and you can order new parts on Monday morning to fix what you broke on Sunday ready for next weekend.

If you think about it, 9 solid days off-roading is more action than a lot of people's trucks see in 6 months - so if you compress 6 months maintenance and servicing into that as well, and the fact that you and the truck have to be on the starting line the next morning, it's hard work.

• Like 3

I've never been interested in greenlaning if i'm honest, it's slow and not really my cup of tea, but what was going on there in that video was something you can talk about for a long time. 

It's a commaderie situation, relying on others and yourself to overcome the obsticals ahead. 

These type of scenarios are everywhere, from walking/climbing mountains to extreme running/cycling/swimming/driving/flying, in fact whatever floats your boat ( sailing across the ocean on your own in a wheelie bin for instance ).

Some will look at what is being done and think ' **** that ' and others will watch and go, i'd like some of that. 

As much as it is hard, it doesn't dampen the spirit, it has the opposite effect and makes you even more determined to succeed in the experience.

If you approach it with the right mind set and knowledge of experience from those that have done it before you, then it's a good start.

If anything ever comes of it and another trip ever happened, i'd happily volunteer to help out if the finances and time were available.

• Like 1

I'd seen ladoga videos some 15 years ago via Andy (moglite) and though wow that's nuts. I got involved with hofs (5 years later) by being asked to make some fibreglass body panels for Petal Evo (although I was aware of them via fridge). The following year I made most of the body panels for mouse and somebody (Jen) said why don't we do tourist. I thought she was joking but it grew into a plan.... I had the tomcat which would have ended up in tr3 at best (I didn't have that kind of finance). However I had just started building a 90 up for my girlfriend at the time. It became known as 45.

I couldn't afford to go, didn't have a suitable truck and nowhere near enough time. So I did it anyway.

You'll never regret it but it may take a few years to recover or you may get hooked, either way it's going to cost a fortune and absorb all your time. So your best get on with it while you still can. :rtfm:

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I couldn't afford to go, didn't have a suitable truck and nowhere near enough time. So I did it anyway.

Sounds like a good plan :D

' Go on drive it ' in various forms of volume and intensity is what i garnered from the video Fridge posted of you in the 45 and also ' are you sure about this?....no...are you?  ':lol:

The tourist class did look interesting though