25th ladoga trophy

Jimmymad99

Interesting, because I thought about pegging them. I asked crown-diffs about it when I ordered them and he said those carriers would do 300hp okay and I was running the 3.5 RV8. That will really make them tough :)

The beast is on so many trucks. Mirror is on a John Deere gator down the road. Big yellow tow hook is on a Mitsubishi 4x4 a bit further down the road. It lives on :D

12 hours ago, Team Idris said:

Interesting, because I thought about pegging them. I asked crown-diffs about it when I ordered them and he said those carriers would do 300hp okay and I was running the 3.5 RV8. That will really make them tough :)

The beast is on so many trucks. Mirror is on a John Deere gator down the road. Big yellow tow hook is on a Mitsubishi 4x4 a bit further down the road. It lives on :D

I have had them chip the crown abd pinion  thats why I'm doing them  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I fear Ben is right... Certainly little chance of being allowed to travel (and to Mother Russia of all places) without having to go through quarantine  afterwards. Though that might actually be a good thing, time to recharge the batteries and stay away from cars for a week or so.

I must admit not much progress has been made on my P38. 😞 But I am slowly working my way through all the other projects.

Filip

• 10 months later...

Good evening everyone. 

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I am looking to enter the Adventure class for the 2022 Ladoga trophy. 

For those that may not know it follows in the footsteps of the TR-1 class (33” tyres, 1 winch, no roll cage required, limited vehicle modifications required- pretty mild and sensible class) but it is not run against the clock however there is a maximum completion time for the day’s course. 

I am wondering if anyone else is considering it this year? The more crews the merrier. 

I am not fully decided yet but I think I will be using my trusty disco 2. 1B0EFB5E-5482-456B-B613-67B12074121A.thumb.jpeg.c9a685aa200801b78b34f8b30f8eceff.jpeg

• Like 3

This is one thread you (or anyone else) can revive anytime! 🙂

As Mike says, it's a great event! But you'll not find much mild or sensible about TR1 routes.
I want to go back some day, possibly also Adventure class.
Just the small matter of getting my Range Rover finished... At least I've resumed work on her this year.

Do keep us posted and ask away if you have any questions.

Filip

Thanks for the replies everyone. 
I am starting to think that building another TD5 disco and not destroying my daily would be the way to go. With the lessons learned from my daily and common problems fixed it could be a good cheap vehicle (compared to the defender prices). 

In terms of travel I am thinking of driving to Germany and then getting a ferry to Helsinki. Then it’s not too far to St Petersburg. Cuts out road miles through Russia which is a good thing - they do not like modified cars and anything that draws attention is likely to be pulled/fined. 

Has anyone had any trouble through the rest of Europe in regard to winch bumpers, lift kits and other off road modifications/equipment. I know a few people that have had a lot of trouble in Germany with low cars and their whole TUV approval system. 

In terms of vehicle prep, I am thinking about air lockers front and rear, how does that interact with the traction control system on the disco? I imagine you would have to do the “wire 9” trick on the SLABS ecu to disable all the electronic traction control when you lock the diffs? But I guess Ashcroft can probably advise on that. 
The adventure class is limited to 33” tyres. I currently run 265/75/16 which comes up around 31.6-32” depending on the brand and model. Is it worth going bigger? I am worried about the diffs and axle shafts surviving. I feel like many of the pay and play cars on 36” tyres are just tempting fate and it’s probably best to build a more reliable setup around a smaller tyre. 

Luckily I will have a support car in Russia so I won’t have to lug all the spares around with me the whole time, but I have no ability to trailer the car around to the start of any special stages. Everyone seems to be trailering, so I hope that’s not an issue and people are just trying to limit on road driving and save their equipment. 

I will be contacting the organisers next week to ask a few questions and try to get my entry in before the price hike at the end of Jan.

Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated! 

I also need to wrap my head around the GPS bits that I need to invest in and get familiar with how it all works, nothing worse that not knowing how to use your equipment on the day. 

As for the lockers and Traction control… my logic would be that you wouldn’t need to do anything the TC just won’t see any wheel speed difference when they’re all locked. If you had the rear locked and spun a front wheel it would then just slow that wheel.

Not sure if TC would be good or bad itself in Russia, if it’s activated a lot it is potentially a way of running through lots of brake pads. 

The ferry to Helsinki is the way we've done it. Just plan in a lot of time for the Russian border.

Trailering is good because camp can be rather far away from the end of the stage, and having to do repairs jusy to get to camp after a hard stage isn't exactly great for morale. Plus actually being able to bring it home if you manage to break things spectacularly (not unlikely).

Driving through Europe with a modified vehicle shouldn't be an issue, all of those rules are for vehicles registered there. Maybe something ridiculous like driving a Proto on the Autobahn could raise a few eyebrows, but a moderately modified Disco shouldn't be an issue.

59 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Driving through Europe with a modified vehicle shouldn't be an issue, all of those rules are for vehicles registered there. Maybe something ridiculous like driving a Proto on the Autobahn could raise a few eyebrows, but a moderately modified Disco shouldn't be an issue.

Would be interesting to see the exact reasons those modified cars were stopped the other year in Germany. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Would be interesting to see the exact reasons those modified cars were stopped the other year in Germany. 

Weren't they part of some big rally thing where a load of people rag stuff cross Europe and generally make a nuisance of themselves? Like the Gumball, various charity rallys etc.?

We've driven all sorts right across Europe, including the 109 which is fairly obviously modified :ph34r:, been stopped by the German police more than once and never had a problem. One instance was with @miketomcat and @TSD, in a tomcat and Ibex respectively, and basically the cops just wanted to know what the hell the vehicles were as they don't see that sort of thing in Germany. As always, if you're polite to cops, you have an easy day.

Anyway, as others have said and from what I've heard from those who competed - TR1 is very much a race class (TR = Trophy Raid), and being the "lowest" race class you are cannon fodder for the bigger boys coming up behind you, I know for a fact the TR3 and Proto boys will deliberately try to wreck parts of the stage so all the TR1 & TR2 get stuck and block any competitor TR3/4 that get caught up behind. Ramming them out of the way is also not unheard of.

If you want less lunacy you want Tourism class.

Before you do ANYTHING to the truck, get hold of the rule book and read it - you don't want to be bumped into a higher class because you thought no-one would notice your air locker ;)

You definitely want a truck that is reliable, serviced to within an inch of its life, and made as easy to maintain in the field as possible - beating the p*ss out of a truck for a few hours at a pay & play before limping home to make repairs in a nice warm workshop with next-day parts delivery is VERY different to beating the p*ss out of it all day every day for a solid week 1000 miles from home.

• Like 3

You definitely need the biggest tyres your allowed in class but don't go even a millimetre over. We did the first stage on 265/75x16 (knicked off our support truck) due to the 255/85x16's being 5mm to tall. The other truck with us in tourist was on 33's but was a 110 and had a hell of a time in stage 1. They did so much damage they decided to pull out and only do the beach/dune stages. We borrowed their wheels for the rest of the event. Oh and get really good at taking tyres off an on rims, on one stage we punched 3 tyres off rims, scoop the mud out put them back on and carry on.

We had no trailer and drove from stage to camp to stage. In Russia we got pulled once out in the sticks but just kept saying "English I don't understand" till they got bored. However friends got a small fine. Never had a problem other than police curiosity elsewhere in Europe.

It's a great event being able to speak Russian would be a plus as although a lot is in English the other have to get someone.

This was our truck at the end of stage one.

1043555035_2009-10-2520_21.16-1.JPG.248e8be568c60e0d1e2a1c9f2f20b644.JPG

On route with the flying spanners including @FridgeFreezer (proto), @Daan (tr2) and us / Charlie camel (tourist).

SDC10300.jpg.9a7670e12b411266ce0fc7e83aa72fa1.jpg

Mike

• Like 4

Bear in mind we drove that whole convoy from Hook Of Holland to the top of Germany with no issues - as you can see, not exactly subtle :lol: and we looked far rougher coming back :ph34r:

I got stopped in 2008 I think because I ended up with the trailer on the way back but had no trailer electrics.

7 hours ago, PandaSpeedShop said:

I run a couple of track day cars and a drift car and my friends always take the tiddle because everything is paint marked and I have tonnes of spares that I carry with me. I guess that kind of attitude will help with being prepared. 

That's better than the alternative - but you need to remember that you can't carry 1 ton of spares in the car with you, so unless you have a spacious support truck you need to work out what's mission-critical and what isn't and then be brutal about what you take and what you leave... if it's not mission-critical it shouldn't even be attached to the truck, never mind carrying a spare.

7 hours ago, PandaSpeedShop said:

I want all new perishables and every fixing to be touched to ensure that first of all its not seized

Never mind touched - if there's any question at all, replace it before you go and take the old one as a spare. It's far easier to replace a clutch or timing belt at home in the workshop than in a Russian forest, and you can drive it round for a few weeks to make sure there's no niggles.

Never mind reading the technical manuals - download them to everyone's phone & tablet & laptop! Also do the same with the maps, the routes, etc. so that losing a phone doesn't lose anything vital.

Oh yeah - a peli-case "box of life" for phones & passports etc. is a godsend.

Is your Disco a V8 or TD5? Either way you've got a lot of work on your hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Oh yeah - a peli-case "box of life" for phones & passports etc. is a godsend.

The little yellow peli-case on the roof in that picture is our life box. It lived down the back of the cubby box so it could be grabbed in a hurry. We also had a big peli-case in the back that had dry clothes and sleeping bags in. The tent was bungeed to the headlining. You need to carry your camping gear so when the back of the truck is flooded you'll be glad that it stays dry. 

We carried.

Recovery gear,

Water (enough to drink and refill the radiator)/food for several days (as the Belgian collective found out),

Camping gear and clothes,

A basic tool kit with a couple of special tools,

Some spares, belts, wheel bearings, UJ's etc (stuff to get it rolling or can be done in stage) a tube that can go in a holed tyre is useful,

Waffles/hi lift,

Deet (in a waterproof tub, it melts plastic),

First aid kit,

Two fire extinguishers,

A basher,

Spade,

Bow saw,

Waterproof's,

Nav gear (itronix laptop way out of date now),

Radio.

Our support had all above plus extras, dry boots and cooking gear. Wearing boots that dry quickly is more important than waterproof.

Mike