Normal or bad luck

Stellaghost

Gutted this morning found these rips on my 2a canvass, its 10 year old but has just sat there not moving,  canvass was new when I put it on, I wouldn't have thought it would have rotted through, is this normal or dodgy  materials regards Stephen 

20210331_122417.jpg

20210331_122409.jpg

From comments posted by others on the S2C Forum, 'modern' canvas does not last as long as previous versions did, apparently the older canvas was treated with chemicals that the manufacturers cannot use now.

I don't recall seeing a consensus on what a person should do, but it's probably true to say I don't have a canvas problem, because I don't have one fitted.

Posts from 2020.
Some may recall that I posted some time back about needing a new hood on my 88".  Since owning my Series II, over the last 20 years I've put 2 new hoods on it, both from Exmoor Trim (ET).  The first one, purchased in July 2003, lasted 12 years and 4 months.  The vehicle was outside in all weathers, and I never treated the hood at all.

The next one, purchased in November 2015, has only lasted until now - 4 months short of 5 years!  Nothing has changed in either my usage or where my vehicle is kept.  What HAS changed, is the ET specification.

I quote from their website "We use a 100% Natural Cotton Fibre for Exmoor Canvas Hoods and we have a lot of input into this material at the point of production.  Exmoor's 18oz Natural Cotton Canvas over the years has changed with many of the old chemicals used in the past, no longer being used.

The chemicals we now use are very environmentally based and many are organic, for us this is a big factor and part of our environmental strategy.

We appreciate that this does reduce the lifespan of the product compared to the heavily treated canvas of the past."

So that explains my unhappiness with my 2nd tilt.  Also a very good example of buyer beware.  I mentioned to ET when I bought my 2nd tilt, that the hood seemed different, and though I wasn't completely happy with it, I wasn't unhappy enough to return it.  Had I known this is ET's policy, I would have gone elsewhere, and I will do so now.

The tilt bought in 2003 cost £201.00 plus carriage and lasted over 12 years, the one bought in 2015 has lasted less than 5 years and cost £320.00 plus carriage.  A new one is now £351.69 plus carriage.  I don't think I'll be buying another one from ET, environment notwithstanding.
For the full thread, follow this link.

This link connects to more experiences, from different people

Regards.

The decade ago new ET top on my wife’s Lightweight let sunlight through pinprick holes all over, wicked a lot of water through the straps and internal tie laces, and the seam coverings faded to lilac in a year of being parked outdoors.  They’re not up to spec.  Undercover Covers seem to have the only good reputation at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daan said:

Anyone has experience with PVC as a material for hoods?

No but I the heavy lorry curtain sides/boat cover stuff should work well I would have thought, I don't know if a pattern would need adjusting for the different stretch characteristics?

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Anyone has experience with PVC as a material for hoods?

Yes, I bought a series pvc hood from Blanchard's (I think) it fitted my lightweight really well, and kept the weather out until I sold it years later, fixings were elasticated rather than rope and protected by rubber sleeves where they went under the hooks.

It was around the same cost as an Exmoor hood, but lasted very well.

Only downside was some condensation on the inside in certain weather, but I lived with that.

I had my bellows for the dormobile roof made from a material used to create boat hoods from.

It's very strong and water proof and comes in all different colours. 

I also found a lovely lady near me who can make just about anything from this stuff as well, if you have a template then even better.