Are Range Rover and Land Rover the same?

Hello friends,

I love learning about cars, especially luxury and super luxury cars. Therefore Land Rover is also a car line that I love to learn. This car is called Land Rover, but I've also heard Range Rover. So do these two names refer to the same Land Rover brand? Please help me answer.

Thanks everyone.

The Range Rover is a style of car created by Land Rover, which itself was a style of car created by the Rover Car Company.

It was the perceived need by Marketing teams that caused Land Rovers to be allocated a specific sub-heading under Rover.
Later on the same need was perceived to distance the name Range Rover from Land Rover.

Regards.

Jaguar Land Rover is the company, Jaguar and Land Rover are the brands and within the Land Rover Brand you have Defender, Discovery and Range Rover Models - with Range Rover sub models such as Evoque, Range Rover Sport, Velar etc oh and of course just straight Range Rover

Edited by garrycol

15 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

And Rover which subsequently went bankrupt and closed.

Rover Group was owned by British Aerospace and built vehicles under the Rover and Land Rover brands in a joint venture with Honda Motor Corp until 1994. Honda Motor owned 10% of Rover Group who in turn owned 10% of Honda of the UK Manufacturing (the Swindon operation).

When the 'golden share' expired in 1994 , which had prevented the sale of Rover Group by British Aerospace, BMW bought the Group and that's when it began to be split. It was disappointing as Honda had been ready to increase their holding but didn't want to take a majority share.

BMW did market Range Rover as a separate brand for a while, just like they're doing with Mini now. Mainly to emphasize the difference between the Land Rover working vehicles and Range Rover luxury. When Ford bought Land Rover they returned to the old way, Range Rover being just a model. Tata seems to want to get rid of the Land Rover name and is calling everything either Range Rover or Discovery (except for the Defender that should really be called Discovery 6).

• 1 month later...

Quite true Steve, only the name Velar on pre-production vehicles.

Interestingly my '87 Vogue is registered with the DVLA as a Rover, as opposed to LR which you would expect as that was the company's name from 1978.