Which oil lives in hydraulic bottle jack

ivanlrlukic

1 hour ago, ivanlrlukic said:

Hello everybody,

mine hydraulic bottle jack needs to be topped up.

Which oil could be used for that? 10w40? hypoid?

Oil inside does not nave any fancy smell.

Regards, Ivan.

Hydraulic oil is quite thin, you could use ATF, I have used this with hydraulics on an engine  hoist for several years with no issues regards Stephen

I've used ATF to re-fill hydraulic jacks.

But equally - if your jack has lost oil - most jacks will 'recycle' any seepage-past-the-seals into the thing's sump so even if the seals are leaky you should not need to add oil.

If it's leaking badly enough to require adding fresh oil - I'd not be trusting it!

New non-leaky jacks are cheap, from the likes of Machine-Mart. Why risk using a jack that's needing oil adding?

Don't stress the oil in these things I used to buy cheap chinese 20-30ton jacks to use for pushing trees over on arb jobs, having crushed a few.... the oil they supply is what ever they get cheap lol 

Onsite in deperation I have refilled a jack with a mix of chainsaw chainbar oil and deisel.... it worked well even stopped leaking around the plunger seal (till it was stolen lol) The design and construction is so basic on these, all but the top end ones just use "O" rings as pressure seals and I'm yet to find a chinese one that even has a wiper seal on the spear, based off this the thicker the oil, while still getting it to flow the better the jack will be 

How thick you want depends on how cold you are if your in cold conditions I'd consider thinning your engine oil down 

3 hours ago, ivanlrlukic said:

Hello everybody,

mine hydraulic bottle jack needs to be topped up.

Which oil could be used for that? 10w40? hypoid?

Oil inside does not nave any fancy smell.

Regards, Ivan.

I know you are not UK based, but a quick google search for Hydraulic jack oil finds these 

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydraulic+jack+oil&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB911GB911&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwi4y_yc7p_yAhULhf0HHQD2DSMQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=633

Thanks everybody for help.

Yes, there are new jacks for not so much money, but at the moment I'm roverles and don't need any extra.

On topic: oil leaked out because at the moment it's being used horizontally, to push one tube into another (sailing matter).

I believe at the moment I'll top it up with ATF, but will be considering getting new one with next rover.

For those interested in rovering in Serbia please check my (bit outdated) web site: ленд-ровер.срб (if you don.t mind Serbian cyrilic). There is even one page in English! 🙂

19 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

What's wrong with good old fashioned ISO 46 hydraulic oil? Roughly half the price of ATF

H46 would be my oil of choice, but not everyone has that. ATF you're likely to find in any workshop, will do the job and for the small amount needed price wont matter much.

As for cheap bottle jacks, those don't have a telescopic piston like the LR ones, so I'd happily spend some time and resources fixing a LR one.