Roamerdrive oil level

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

I've just fitted a new Roamerdrive to my S2a however even though the roamerdrive uses the oil from the transfer box and comes with a dipstick and tube there is no mark on the dipstick but can see oil at bottom of dipstick is this the right level or should it be higher as it doesn't seem right to keep to transfer box oil level.

Hi, I'm sure that you have the instructions as it's a new unit. On mine which is the Defender variant, the instructions about filling are very clear but might not be the same. In fact as you have a dipstick it's hardly worth writing this but here goes...

This Defender one has a little weep hole at a plug on the Roamerdrive, which is closed with a little grub screw and you fill until it leaks from this.

Actually I have just used google for the SS version and here it is.

514983216_Screenshot2021-09-28at13_46_34.png.51570a8fe28f35173451af004d8de3fd.png

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Hi, I'm sure that you have the instructions as it's a new unit. On mine which is the Defender variant, the instructions about filling are very clear but might not be the same. In fact as you have a dipstick it's hardly worth writing this but here goes...

This Defender one has a little weep hole at a plug on the Roamerdrive, which is closed with a little grub screw and you fill until it leaks from this.

Actually I have just used google for the SS version and here it is.

514983216_Screenshot2021-09-28at13_46_34.png.51570a8fe28f35173451af004d8de3fd.png

Its probably because the landy was on a very slight slope as i did everything the instructions said but didn't think it would have made that much of a difference but obviously it does 

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

I read it as fill so the oil level is just showing on the end of the dipstick when you fill at the transfer box and then add another half litre in the Roamerdrive. 

Yeah i did that and dip stick was reading at the end so once straight it should be level so will get it on level ground probably weekend now and see 🙂

That is correct - you prime the newly fitted Roamerdrive with about 1/2l (the excess will flow into the transfer box) and then fill the transfer box to its normal level.  They include the dipstick as the overdrive can make access to the normal level plug a bit harder (easy with a 1/2” extension bar) and so you can check quicker and without tools for frequent checks in service - the Roamerdrive is a tough unit, but very susceptible if the transfer box oil level drops.

I bought one from Martin Hogan, the original UK distributor for Roverdrive and Rocky Mountain, so that I could add one to the gear box, to take the reading through the circular aperture of the tunnel cover.  That’s the unit that really needs a dipstick, given the LT76 propensity for leaks.  As it happens, I don’t really need it as I sorted the usual cause for oil migration - it’s Land Rover’s omission of the bearing seating compound between the rear bearing carrier and the casing.  None of the reconditioners seem to use it either, but it’s there in the green bible.

5 minutes ago, missingsid said:

But they look like you need to bolt through the case with a nut on the inside?

But mite get away with an adaptor that does away with the nut and just screws in with some thread tape on the threads.

I've just had the landy on the flat and the level is about 1/8" showing on dipstick 🙂

47 minutes ago, missingsid said:

But they look like you need to bolt through the case with a nut on the inside?

Cheap enough to try without..  what puts me off is the glass, I’d rather just have a tube with a dip stick.  The parts will be out there I think.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, Bowie69 said:

I'd be more worried about the unsupported end on a rather vibratory engine/gearbox combination.... need to support it with something IMHO, unsupported only suitable for stationary gear.

The steel guide tube is reasonably thick, but the whole assembly is pretty small and light weight.  It’s not going to break.

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

The steel guide tube is reasonably thick, but the whole assembly is pretty small and light weight.  It’s not going to break.

Steel guide? Aren't they just made of brass/glass? (the sight-glasses, I am talking about)

On 10/4/2021 at 10:35 PM, Anderzander said:

Yes - but I think Nick’s drawing the parallel that they won’t be dissimilar to the Roamerdrive dip stick (in size, shape and weight) - which has a right angle unsupported fitting that does ok.

No, it was my mistake - I thought the concern was over vibration damaging or loosening one of the Roverdrive dipsticks, not a glass sight.