109 SIII - 200di conversion - front propshaft hits sump pickup pipe

xychix

Did a nice 200di conversion on my 109 SIII (1979) only to find out that the front propshaft hits the oil pickup pipe/hose on the 200di.

The rubber of the propshaft joint is leaking now so I took the propshaft out. I'm considering putting it back in the other way around (as the flanges arent the same I'd have to undo the uni joints and remake the shaft the other way around.

Anyone else ever got this issue? possible solutions? 

I'll put it in the other way around and find a place to fully lift the right front wheel and drop the left front wheel. That should bring me in the 'danger zone'

Likely that also where the gaiter got torn, did do some off-roading as part of my drive test trough deep holes. 

I do? I honestly can't recall moving mine, though it was 15 years ago when I did the conversion. Do you have the special socket for the bolts on the prop shaft? I can heartily recommend it, coupled with a battery impact wrench, it makes the job a joy to do.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I do? I honestly can't recall moving mine, though it was 15 years ago when I did the conversion. Do you have the special socket for the bolts on the prop shaft? I can heartily recommend it, coupled with a battery impact wrench, it makes the job a joy to do.

yes i have. propshaft was out under 5 minutes. 

Also got pictures from Arjan, he seems to have no gaitor, might wear a bit quicker and need more grease.. also 'bakwards' with the inner part of the propshaft gearbox side and the outerpart axle side.

Oficially both propshafts (front and rear) have the inner part, and thereby the gaitor) towards the front of the vehicle afaik.

Edited by xychix

I can't see how it would make much difference. I ran my rear prop shaft without a gaiter until last week. No wear in the splines, despite much on and off road use.

I'm happier with, but the collar and seal on the end of the spines does most of the hard work.

IMG_20211218_115634.jpg

IMG_20211218_155428.jpg

IMG_20211218_165807.jpg

The Glencoyne mountings are excellent, as I said many times too.  Also good, and far cheaper, are the specific Bearmach type sold by CharlieCCU (Charles Emberton) on eBay.  Not much harder, but a quarter of the price.  Much better than Gen Parts or Britpart, which are far too hard.

On a related tangent, if either of you still have the front prop off the vehicle, would you mind measuring the length compressed and extended for me, please?  HoSS is selling a DC 110 front shaft that would sort out the UJ angles on my 109 following its coiler axle conversion; I want to see if it’s modifiable.  If the short section of the shaft has the male long, wider section being the female), could you also measure the length of that section exposed from drive flange to the beginning of the other section?  Sorry to be a nuisance, but I’d prefer to avoid the cost of a custom shaft!

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

..... if either of you still have the front prop off the vehicle, would you mind measuring the length compressed and extended for me, please?.....

will do, although extended length will be limited by the gaitor. 

3 hours ago, xychix said:

placed it the other way around and drove the car up a pile of rocks with the right wheel until i was slipping front left and rear right. 

Seems to touch just about... might be just good enough.

Sort out the engine rubbers and slide the engine over a bit on the mounts. That will eliminate the problem.

• Like 1