Axle Breather

With acknowledgment to @FridgeFreezer as I had copied this ages ago from a post of his, try this:

Fittings are 1/8" BSP thread, 6mm push-fit tube is the standard (just buy a 10 or 30m reel), Camozzi nickel-plated brass fittings are nice and robust compared to the plastic ones. Any decent hydraulics place should have them. Don't buy stainless, they're 5x the price.

Axles, R380 and LT230 breather are all 1/8" BSP not sure about anything else. Think your front cover needs one but sure a TDi owner could confirm.

In an ideal world going to 1/4" and bigger bore 8-10mm pipe gives a far freer flow and improved breathing but that involves drilling & tapping.

As you can gather from this, it’s more convenient to replace the banjo fittings with push fit screw-in elbows. 

• Like 1

@Peaklander thanks for that bit of info.

So what size is fitting that the Banjo bolt goes through and the pipe work pushes onto? I know it has a copper washer top and bottom, no idea what it's called???

Thanks again Andy 

I can see that it isn't listed as a separate item on LR diagrams, only with the pipe. It's called a banjo union. You can buy generic ones in various sizes - just get the correct size for your banjo bolt. I still think the push fit elbows would be better.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I still think the push fit elbows would be better.

i agree with that , the hole in the banjo bolt is so small , it takes nothing to clog up with moisture and causing rust , and blocking your breather .

the hole in a pushfit elbow is way bigger !

Thanks guys I'm with the program now! Thanks for the link @Daan pictures I can understand!?!

@92a thanks for your very kind offer, but I think I will now invest in this push pull set up.

There that wasn't so hard was it!?!

Cheers all Andy 

I have Camozzi fittings too  - they cost me just over 2€ each with the vat. It's much better to get the swivel ones, not the fixed ones on the GL site, as this makes it way easier to remove for maintenance, pipe re-routing etc. FYI, if it isn't obvious, the standard LR tube is 6mm and pushes straight in :)

S6520 Swivel Elbow Push In Fitting

Can you tell I cleaned the truck yesterday? :lol:

axle_breather.jpg.6df52fdd385ffe7d8f40ff0fa59a26b8.jpg

1/8" BSP to 6mm push-fit tube is what directly replaces the genuine Land Rover ones, I went out to 1/4" BSP (re-drilled and tapped the axle) and 8 or 10mm tube as it breathes way easier.The Finns taught me that one, when a hot axle hits a frozen puddle in the tundra it takes a surprisingly deep breath :lol:

If you're doing axles & gearbox etc. at the same time a 30m reel of hose in a colour of your choice is often the cheapest thing to buy, and a party pack of black cable ties, that way you can go wild and crazy with the routing and bring it up somewhere nice and protected.

My front axle comes up into the air box, the gearbox etc. all join up and are run up inside the B-pillar and I think the back axle comes up in the back of the truck, but I've slept since I did that so can't remember for sure :ph34r: