Spooky or sabotage?

stevewedd

My S3 lightweight was parked roadside unattended. 

While I was absent and the vehicle stationary, both side clips on the distributor detached themselves and the distributor cap fell off upwards and away to one side. The rotor arm did not fall off. 

Has anyone here encountered anything like this, outside of ‘Where Eagles Dare’ or ‘Went the Day Well’?

It is either a weird inexplicable phenomenon or sabotage by someone who knows the law on criminal damage and theft, and did not want to expose themselves to breaching either. I didn’t know that I had so many enemies (I’ve gone from none to one in a weekend). 

How did you know - wouldn't start I presume? I used to remove the rotor arm on my S3 88" and was teased about it by a mate who then had his 110 TD5 stolen followed by another a few months later. I'd put it down to a prank - someone trying to annoy you maybe? Have you upset anyone near where you parked?

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've had a similar issue before - I put it down to fuel vapour leaking back through the advance pipe & mechanism and then igniting when I tried to start it.

There are so many reasons why this is totally wrong and can't possibly be true - diaphragm, small orifice flame propagation, vacuum flow in the wrong direction etc., etc.. On the other hand, I remember watching your dizzy cap fly off with a bang when you were cranking it over, and that wasn't the first time you'd seen it either :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

(Mannington? dunno, was a lot of years ago!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TSD said:

On the other hand, I remember watching your dizzy cap fly off with a bang when you were cranking it over

I'm glad you remember it too because it's so daft I doubt myself even now :lol:

I suppose unburnt fuel mixed in the engine oil could also percolate vapours up through the dizzy body, but either explanation sounds totally ridicuous... apart from the fact it actually happened!

I guess this is why they have flame traps in the crank breather lines.

22 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I suppose unburnt fuel mixed in the engine oil could also percolate vapours up through the dizzy body, but either explanation sounds totally ridicuous... apart from the fact it actually happened!

I put it down to that bloody awful 4bbl thing that Holley claimed was a carburettor. Once the sump is completely full of petrol, the dizzy just became the overflow pipe :lol:

• Haha 1