LT230 tc grinding and clunking noise

The_rayess

13 minutes ago, western said:

Could be the rear UJ is binding & causing the noise, the working angle of the 2 yokes may be to tight & they touch when rotating. 

Maybe the rear UJ need to be replaced ! But working angle of the 2 yokes are good they are not touching ! 

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

with the rear prop removed, give the rear output a wiggle and see if its the output bearing. it it moves side to side it could be the bearing on it's way out. 

I will try it and if not ? If its good ? What would be the problem ? 

35 minutes ago, The_rayess said:

I will try it and if not ? If its good ? What would be the problem ? 

You mentioned fitting a lift kit, have you or anybody done anything else, if the prop shaft angles are unequal this could create noise through the universal joints regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

You mentioned fitting a lift kit, have you or anybody done anything else, if the prop shaft angles are unequal this could create noise through the universal joints regards Stephen

Could it create grinding noise and cluncking like when going faster the sound is faster also ! Bte i checked my rear diff and front one no metal both are new ! 

7 minutes ago, The_rayess said:

Could it create grinding noise and cluncking like when going faster the sound is faster also ! Bte i checked my rear diff and front one no metal both are new ! 

It could certainly create a grinding noise, also check your lt230 output shaft for play, possibly upload a soundtrack of the noise your experiencing for people to listen to. Did you check the prop shaft joints/greased them ? what vehicle is it regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

It could certainly create a grinding noise, also check your lt230 output shaft for play, possibly upload a soundtrack of the noise your experiencing for people to listen to. Did you check the prop shaft joints/greased them ? what vehicle is it regards Stephen

Certainly i will upload. Ut now its like raining and i dont have place in my garage so i can lift it and let you guys hear ! I think i have a ujoint is bad if i am not mistaken. The lt230 is fitted on old toyota scat 1982

• western changed the title to LT230 tc grinding and clunking noise
1 hour ago, The_rayess said:

No its passenger side

For clarification, on the right hand side, like the LT230 output?

Have you drained the oil through a sieve, or removed the bottom inspection cover?  Bad UJs and unequal UJ angles cause vibration and can make noises, but not grinding in my experience - that is likely the prop rubbing on something or bearing failure in the transmission.

12 hours ago, Snagger said:

For clarification, on the right hand side, like the LT230 output?

Have you drained the oil through a sieve, or removed the bottom inspection cover?  Bad UJs and unequal UJ angles cause vibration and can make noises, but not grinding in my experience - that is likely the prop rubbing on something or bearing failure in the transmission.

Yes it was center diff i swapped it with righ hand side ! No havent drained oil yet, i checked the UJ by hand it makes a clanck noise up and down not side by side ! one side noise i think the sound will be high oon high speed ! No play in the rear output i checked it while the driveshaft installed ! I can move the car up and down with 0 play ! So now i think UJ problem or unequal UJ angles 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Good, it's a starting point and hopefully the cause of your issues, keep us posted on your progress please regards Stephen

Yes i will keep you guys posted ! I removed my rear driveshaft! No noise … even at high speed ! So its a UJ or UJ angle am i right ? 

If the UJ is making a clunking noise in one direction at least one of the bearings have failed, with the prop shaft off have a check on each of the,. I suspect you will find there will be movement in one. Replacement UJ's don't cost to much and relatively light so shouldn't  cost to much postage either if you are getting it shipped in, they can be a bit fiddly to change but shouldn't stress any mechanic.

16 hours ago, The_rayess said:

Yes i will keep you guys posted ! I removed my rear driveshaft! No noise … even at high speed ! So its a UJ or UJ angle am i right ? 

Probably, though it is possible that the rear output shaft bearing in the LT230 is damaged.  You’ll only really know when you refit the repaired prop shaft.  Unfortunately, finding a faulty UJ in the prop shaft won’t rule out a bad transmission bearing - damaged prop shafts put strain and vibration into the transmission, with potential damage to them too.  Fingers crossed, though, that it is just the prop shaft.

I’d recommend replacing both UJs in that shaft as a precaution, not just one that has play or is seized.

8 hours ago, sean f said:

If the UJ is making a clunking noise in one direction at least one of the bearings have failed, with the prop shaft off have a check on each of the,. I suspect you will find there will be movement in one. Replacement UJ's don't cost to much and relatively light so shouldn't  cost to much postage either if you are getting it shipped in, they can be a bit fiddly to change but shouldn't stress any mechanic.

Yes i will be changing the UJ tomorrow if possible ! 

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Probably, though it is possible that the rear output shaft bearing in the LT230 is damaged.  You’ll only really know when you refit the repaired prop shaft.  Unfortunately, finding a faulty UJ in the prop shaft won’t rule out a bad transmission bearing - damaged prop shafts put strain and vibration into the transmission, with potential damage to them too.  Fingers crossed, though, that it is just the prop shaft.

I’d recommend replacing both UJs in that shaft as a precaution, not just one that has play or is seized.

I am not sure that the rear output shaft bearing is damaged ! No play ! I will check it tomorrow because i didnt drive it too much ! I will check both of it !!

13 hours ago, steve b said:

As you have a different back axle to the standard fit I'm wondering if the diff ratio's are the same front to back?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but just trying to get to know the truck?

Steve

Yes sure same ration 5.29 front and rear