Handbrake switch and warning light

1991 110 CSW, originally with a V8 for Middle East market.

I am seeking clarification on the handbrake switch and warning light. My vehicle shows no evidence of ever having had a handbrake switch although it does have the handbrake symbol on the dash warning bulb panel. The 1987 Parts Catalogue does not show a handbrake switch except for Australian models, Part No. ADU2888L, Item 3, p. 514. My handbrake cable appears to be Item 2, p. 515.  However, the Ninety, One Ten Workshop Manual, volume 2, shows both the handbrake switch and the related dash panel warning light, Section 86 p. 70 Items 56 and 40.

So, my questions are: should there be a handbrake switch, and if so, how and where does it fit and what's its part number? Any info will be much appreciated, and many thanks in advance to anyone who can throw some light on this.

Mike

The switch is on handbrake bracket inside the rubber gaiter & there will be a triangular plate on side of hand brake, not all vehicles had it fitted/wired its down to export market requirement, you can retrofit, the thread I wrote is in our tech archive index. 

Thank you, all, for your responses and links.  It looks as if my vehicle was never fitted with the switch although the dash warning panel has the symbol.  It looks easy enough to fit so I'll go ahead and order the switch and bracket.  One more question resolved and another job to do!

Mike

• Like 1

All 90/110 warning light panel have either Park Brake or the  exclamation mark in a circle both light red, these cater for the difference in markets for UK  & export. On my Td5 panel I have the amber ABS symbol as my hand brake on warning light 

You will have to add a triangular ramp to your handbrake lever, as shown in my post 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, All, and the very best New Year wishes to everybody,

Having resolved that my vehicle, a 1991 110 CSW, LHS, never had a handbrake warning light, I am now puzzled by the handbrake rubber boot. On the accessible side, this has a moulded recess with a hole at the centre, approx 3/8” diameter, that appears to line up with the hole in the lever mounting bracket, which is 1/4” diameter, as in the photo. This hole has a nut welded to the remote side which takes an M5x0.8 screw. Would any part of a handbrake switch mechanism have been mounted through the rubber boot? If not, what would/could have been mounted there?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mike

DSCN1511.thumb.JPG.ca207261b3440978161fafee37574a36.JPG

DSCN1510.thumb.JPG.42d728deb81e5c903db90d4b8a1c197d.JPG

Apologies for putting it in the wrong thread.  I had meant to put it in the Hand Brake thread which was the next one down.

Thanks for identifying the purpose of the mystery hole.  I had discounted securing the gaiter to the bracket because there is also a securing location on the gaiter that fixes to the front of the seat box.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vehicle is a 1991 110 CSW, originally with a V8 and for the Middle East market, specifically Kuwait.

I’m still confused regarding brake system warning lights. On my warning light panel there are three lights that appear to be for brake situations, see photo. The one at top left appears to be a warning that the Park Brake is ON. One of the others is warning of low brake reservoir fluid level. What is the third? Is there any other brake system warning? Could one have been installed for a worn-out brake pad warning, as is found on modern vehicles, although there is no evidence around the brake calipers or pads of such a system ever having been installed? What am I missing, or is the third symbol just an unused location?

To add to my confusion, while removing a rat’s nest of old wiring from behind the dash I found this little gizmo. It was wrapped in what used to be called Denso Tape. What is it for, what does it do, and do I need to reinstall it?

DSCN1516.thumb.JPG.d739f11ee511bd606634ab780b7f253e.JPG

Any help on either or both of these queries will be very much appreciated.

Mike

The circuit board gizmo is probably a little driver for the low fuel light. My 1992 90 had the same, rather than using a switch on the sender this circuit must monitor the fuel level and then turns the light on when required.

I binned it when I changed to Td5 gauges as the speedo head takes over this function. 

OK, my understanding is that the brakes sign (top row, second from right) with the exclamation mark is a system warning - low fluid as you say. The brakes sign with the P in the middle (bottom row, centre) is the handbrake light - at least it is on mine.

I have absolutely no idea what the PARK BRAKE label is top left. Sorry.

Thank you, all, for your replies and explanations.  It seems that I have a redundant Brake system warning bulb location.  And whether I need to re-include that printed circuit gizmo time will reveal.  Of course, if it is a part of the Low Fuel Warning Light circuit I can do without it.  Not all LR vehicles had it.  So, thanks again, another mystery solved.

Mike