V8 Airbox

Inspired by the thread about improved filtration for the 300TDi, I realise that I don't have anything upstream of the plenum and MAF/flapper (not sure which) for my incoming 3.9. 

I'm assuming (dangerous) that the airbox for the current NA 2.5D won't be man enough so was wondering what suggestions there may be for an alternative. Do I need to bite the bullet and get an original? I'd like at some point to fit a snorkel - is there one that incorporates everything? Or should I just chuck a K&N on for the moment and sort it all later?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

SB

The factory filter housing for the south african bmw m52 Defenders was a Donaldson from memory, which is dealing with a similar horsepower - I think they are available from truck/agri suppliers, with decent availability of filters.  Otherwise a 3.9 rangie housing would obviously work if you can find a way to mount it..

For what its worth, as the 2.5 NA and 2.5 Turbo (19J) use the same filter assy, IMO I would think that a K&N in the standard housing will be fine, being that most diesels, especially turbo, will be pulling more air than a 3.9, unless it is boosted. I did have the figures at one time, but now gone due to hard drive failures.

A bigger filter is of course better, as it will flow more air for longer between services. Manufacturers only do adequate, and the minimum they can get away with.

If you're using a hotwire MAF don't use an oiled filter like a K&N, it coats the element and can kill them. TD4's and TD5's especially seem to be upset by them.

The 2.5NA/TD filter is pretty small, as are some of the V8 RR filters, the 200/300TDi airboxes & filters are a nice size and common as muck.

• Like 1

Hmmm. What is the MAF that comes as standard with the CX-1 ECU? (Is it CX-1? The standard LR one with a 3.9) 

I've seen folk kill MAFs on BMWs with K&Ns but had assumed something this agricultural would be a flapper. Happy to be told I'm wrong though.

20 hours ago, Eightpot said:

The factory filter housing for the south african bmw m52 Defenders was a Donaldson from memory, which is dealing with a similar horsepower - I think they are available from truck/agri suppliers, with decent availability of filters.  Otherwise a 3.9 rangie housing would obviously work if you can find a way to mount it..

I think the Donaldson filter is basically the same as the 200tdi filter, I've an LDV Sherpa filter on my M52 conversion which again is basically the same..