Series 2A SWB with Essex 3.0ltr V6 - Gearbox Choice

blz6662

Hi All,

I'm having a few indecisions with this one.

This landy has the Ford V6 (tuned by Specialized engines) fitted and is fresh and not run yet. I now have to fit a new chassis as the original one has gone past the new sections/patches stage.

The engine is fitted to the 2a gearbox (Steve Parker kit) and Fairey overdrive and ready to go. Gearbox is working fine at the moment. Rear axle is a normal ratio 109 Salisbury/shortened prop.

What I'm trying to decide is now everything is going to be refitted to the new chassis should I fit the good spare Series 3 gearbox in place of the 2A box. I'm not sure of the suffix on the fitted box at the moment (need to check when I get the seat box out), but I do have the Original box that I took out sometime ago which is a 2A box Number 254***** Suffix F. I am thinking about rebuilding this if it would be stronger than the Series 3 box.

Also on the shelf I have an R380/LT230 from a V8 Disco 1 which is in top working order. Don't really think I want to go down that route as it's not a stumpy input shaft.

Let me have your thoughts on this chaps as I'm wanting to get it right first go.

Cheers

blz6662

Sounds like you have the complete setup already there. If you’re keeping the engine then to avoid further modifications I’d just opt for the best series gearbox you can get which I believe is the later series 3.

As long as you don’t abuse it it should cope with the V6.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments so far.

I've checked the box currently fitted to the engine and it is also a 2a number 254***** Suffix F so in 2A choices this should be fine as it didn't have any issues last time I used it.

Onto the series 3 box, I've attached a pic with the serial number but can trace how old this is due to it being a factory rebuild. There are no other numbers anywhere except the usual casting numbers on the RHS of the main box.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers

blz6662 

Series 3 box serial number.jpg

I'd say you could over-think this, Series boxes will either live with your driving or they won't, the differences between them are not huge in the scheme of things as they were all designed for about 60hp.

The later 5-speed (LT77/R380 + LT230) is much stronger but a load of work to fit...  flip a coin, how lucky are you feeling? ;)

With a V6, 3.5 V8 or Tdi, gearbox longevity is more about how you drive than the engine torque.  Some people regularly break gearboxes with worn out original 2.25 engines through neglect and abuse, but many with the vastly torquier engines manage for decades without trouble as they drive with “mechanical sympathy “ and regularly replenish and replace oils.

Can't answer the OP question directly, but to add a point of reference - the short bellhousing LT77 in my hybrid lived behind my 3.1 V6 for many years (>10) and never gave any trouble. It got a lot of abuse too, not just off road, but also it was used for a lot of Megasquirt experiments, from the very first V1.0 version, and later for MS+EDIS development. I did a lot of full throttle runs through the gears when tuning, though always with the clutch fully engaged before stamping on the pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run a few series (mainly series 3) behind Rover V8s, 3.5 and 3.9 and have never broken one, or a Fairey overdrive. Including towing some fairly heavy trailer towing on road. Only light use off road, that I guess would be described as Green Laning. This was back in the Eighties and early Nineties though, so they were easy and cheap to find, and probably a lot less worn than what you can get now.

I am fairly mechanically sympathetic though, You can break anything if you try hard enough !

Thanks for the responses guys.

TSD, one for you how did the LT77 short bell housing mate to the V6? Did you use an adaptor plate?

I was wondering if I could use my Steve Parker adaptor currently fitted to the 2A box, perhaps modify that. I need some info in mating these together and I might go for it.

As stated previous I have a really good R380 with V8 bell housing on it from a 3.9 disco and every time I walk past it I keep making mmmm? noises, wondering!

I also have a spare LT77 from a 87 3.8 V8 range rover doing nothing. (I do like the feel of the LT77's).

Any guidance on required items to make it fit would be gratefully received.

Cheers

blz6662 

I used a Steve Parker adapter. It was a while ago, but I suspect it's the same as the SPLR Series adapter that you have.

I think I still have one in the shed somewhere - I will try to dig it out and take a pic for you. I know I have a Cologne adapter because I found it the other day, but pretty sure theres still an Essex adapter there as well.

Plenty of other Essex bits if you need/want anything - including the SPLR nearside exhaust manifold (where you can't reuse the Ford manifold) and (I've just remembered) an original Swaymar 4-bbl inlet manifold, and just about everything needed to Megasquirt it, including EDIS.

Actually there's a complete Specialized Engines 3.1 Essex still sat in there too. Someone bought it from me a year ago, paid, then never collected it!

On 2/17/2023 at 3:00 PM, TSD said:

I used a Steve Parker adapter. It was a while ago, but I suspect it's the same as the SPLR Series adapter that you have.

I think I still have one in the shed somewhere - I will try to dig it out and take a pic for you. I know I have a Cologne adapter because I found it the other day, but pretty sure theres still an Essex adapter there as well.

Plenty of other Essex bits if you need/want anything - including the SPLR nearside exhaust manifold (where you can't reuse the Ford manifold) and (I've just remembered) an original Swaymar 4-bbl inlet manifold, and just about everything needed to Megasquirt it, including EDIS.

Actually there's a complete Specialized Engines 3.1 Essex still sat in there too. Someone bought it from me a year ago, paid, then never collected it!

Or a 24v Cosworth engine…😉

On 2/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, TSD said:

Too late! Strangely my low mileage, 24V Cossie ebay bargain was collected very promptly :lol: Didn't really want to sell it, but too many projects, and at least it was headed for a restored Capri :wub:

That’s what I planted mine into. What a motor 👍F065B659-8F2F-47C8-8E62-2681B8A8B5D8.thumb.jpeg.86611411f78c2e05d69dfe42409dfe63.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@Bigj66 completely off topic. But aside from a stunning mk3 there, your garage looks superb. Could I ask if you know who supplied the building/the spec? I've been going back and forth with suppliers for ages and my latest has gone dark. Feel free to PM if preferred.

Edited by twodoorgaz

17 hours ago, twodoorgaz said:

@Bigj66 completely off topic. But aside from a stunning mk3 there, your garage looks superb. Could I ask if you know who supplied the building/the spec? I've been going back and forth with suppliers for ages and my latest has gone dark. Feel free to PM if preferred.

I’ll PM you so I don’t spam the thread but it’s my design 👍