1/1.2mm Cutting Discs

Who uses what? I'm on my last 1mm disc for the grinder so it's time for some more! Can't even remember what brand the last lot were, I think they were a bulk box from newbury sortout a few years back.

Any brands to avoid? I've had good luck with Abracs in the past, so I'll probably get them again if I don't see anything better. 

I'm after 125mm ones for my Dewalt 18v and the mains version.

I notice Dewalt do a diamond disc, which is supposed to last 30 times longer than a "normal" disc. They are 115mm though, 125mm is not very common. Good thing about these, is that as the disc is metal, it will not be broken by treading on it, which is what normally happens to mine. I am going to try one.

I use whatever is available at the time, but I do notice the cheapies wear out quicker, but I guess it is equalised by the cost.

• Like 1

I thought the diamond discs were for stone, brick and tiles. I'm happy to be proved wrong as I use diamond multi tool blades for fibreglass and have used diamond cut off saws which is essentially an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

My current discs are 125mm parweld they seem to last well but I haven't been doing much metal fab recently.

Mike

The regular diamond discs do metal as well, but the sparks/chips coming off that hurt like hell when they hit you.

I think the ones we use at the workshop are Kingspar. I bought a tin of DeWalt discs a while back for use at home, but haven't used one yet.

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Who uses what? I'm on my last 1mm disc for the grinder so it's time for some more! Can't even remember what brand the last lot were, I think they were a bulk box from newbury sortout a few years back.

Any brands to avoid? I've had good luck with Abracs in the past, so I'll probably get them again if I don't see anything better. 

I'm after 125mm ones for my Dewalt 18v and the mains version.

Abracs are my go to, I also have a diamond disc for cutting metal, they do last longer but very noisy, lots of sparks and a good bit thicker than the 1mm slitting discs, I actually don't like it and will not be getting a new one

regards Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I thought the diamond discs were for stone, brick and tiles. I'm happy to be proved wrong as I use diamond multi tool blades for fibreglass and have used diamond cut off saws which is essentially an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

My current discs are 125mm parweld they seem to last well but I haven't been doing much metal fab recently.

Mike

"Demolition" discs are diamond of some sort, and they do everything. I'm told the rescue services use them, but they are too expensive to try, for me anyway.

Incidentally, I have just bought a tiny Parweld MMA welder, and I cannot believe how good it is !

Guy I work with does blacksmithing when not away at work and did a comparison of different cutting disc's a while back, I though it was a youtube video along with a bunch of blacksmithing ones he has done but can't find it so might have been posted somewhere else, I watched it on his laptop.

He made a jig and then cut slices off a piece of steel with the same pressure and compared speed / reduction in diameter / cost. There was quite a range in speed and wear and they didn't tally with cost very well. He ended up making a table and working out a cost per mm of steel cut (wearing the disc to a set diameter), the ones he found best for economy were "BlueSpot" ones.

I think it was done a few years ago so don't know how prices have changed since or if anything new has come on the market since but it was interesting to watch.

I still have a stock of other ones but plan to give them a go when I order some more.

• Like 1

Here in NZ 125mm is the most common
The choice of 1, 1.2 or 1.6mm is dependent on brand and what I'm cutting (currently typing with my L thumb still healing from a 1mm disk that shattered, unbalanced the grinder enough it ripped from my right hand and bit my left thumb on the way to the ground.... a new brand of disks at work) in my own workshop with the brands I trust I only use 1mm, simply they are faster. At the engineers I'm working at none of us will use the 1mm, even on light stuff lol they arn't strong enough and they don't last 
I don't know if these brands are over your way, these are the main commercial brands I use (and prefer)

Optima, most expensive but the best lasting without being slow cutting  

Pferd and FlexOvit, expensive, good cutting but last about 80% of an optima 

Smith and Arrow, the brand I buy personally....  they are reliable (don't break through use), not the best lasting, but they initally wear very well once they get down to 3/4 to 2/3 useable size they wear quickly.... and the are between 60-40% the price of the others and last almost as long as a Pferd or FlexOvit 

I have used alot of other brands ranging from cheap (Sun, etc) to tool branded stuff (Hitachi/Bosch). They will all do a job but compared to the 4 above they all fall short.... too expensive, slow cutting, no strength, vapourise themselves at the thought of doing work lol

To give you an idea of how many disks I go through last time I bought cutting disks I got 600 lol 

Oh a couple of tips that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the youtube tests.... the older the disks are the faster they wear, I suspect it has something to do with moisture as I've had similar from disks stored near open windows or on vehicles 

50 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

Here in NZ 125mm is the most common
The choice of 1, 1.2 or 1.6mm is dependent on brand and what I'm cutting (currently typing with my L thumb still healing from a 1mm disk that shattered, unbalanced the grinder enough it ripped from my right hand and bit my left thumb on the way to the ground.... a new brand of disks at work) in my own workshop with the brands I trust I only use 1mm, simply they are faster. At the engineers I'm working at none of us will use the 1mm, even on light stuff lol they arn't strong enough and they don't last 
I don't know if these brands are over your way, these are the main commercial brands I use (and prefer)

Optima, most expensive but the best lasting without being slow cutting  

Pferd and FlexOvit, expensive, good cutting but last about 80% of an optima 

Smith and Arrow, the brand I buy personally....  they are reliable (don't break through use), not the best lasting, but they initally wear very well once they get down to 3/4 to 2/3 useable size they wear quickly.... and the are between 60-40% the price of the others and last almost as long as a Pferd or FlexOvit 

I have used alot of other brands ranging from cheap (Sun, etc) to tool branded stuff (Hitachi/Bosch). They will all do a job but compared to the 4 above they all fall short.... too expensive, slow cutting, no strength, vapourise themselves at the thought of doing work lol

To give you an idea of how many disks I go through last time I bought cutting disks I got 600 lol 

Oh a couple of tips that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the youtube tests.... the older the disks are the faster they wear, I suspect it has something to do with moisture as I've had similar from disks stored near open windows or on vehicles 

I don’t think I’ve ever broken a 1mm disc through use/abuse… only ever from dropping something on one in the grinder or dropping said grinder.

Age/dampness thing is interesting, I’ve not noticed it but the workshop isn’t always completely dry! 

The new work ones are cheap lol. Lots of dust and don't last long, the one that blew I was coming into another cut slightly off, Nothing that should have caused what happened 

My workshop is the same lol, but I'm working on some improved storage for smalls and consumables etc and the bulk storage will be in sealed containers with desicant (I have lots of it as I need to keep my printing plastics dry)

I noticed because I just dump the new ones ontop of the old and keep taking from the top and it was noticably different in how well they lasted when you hit the old ones..... so I now put the new ones under the old lol 

• Like 1