Breaking beads

That would be quite easy to make up with a bit of flat plate/bar. Having changed hundreds of tyres I can say that sometimes you need all the help you can get and that tool means you have all the force as close to the bead as possible. Granted most times the Hi Lift will work on its own but you can guarantee it wont when you really need it.

I have an old semi automatic tyre changer at home and have been stuck with some tyres before. They were on Freestyle wheels but had a very soft sidewall meaning they just deformed instead of pushing the bead off. I admitted defeat in the end and went to my tyre fitters with their brand new swanky machines. Took they a few tries too and said that type of tyre with large pliable sidewalls can be an issue at times

6 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Having changed hundreds of tyres I can say that sometimes you need all the help you can get and that tool means you have all the force as close to the bead as possible. Granted most times the Hi Lift will work on its own but you can guarantee it wont when you really need it.

That’s why I was interested. I’ve been managing just using the standard flat plate on the high lift and sometimes it’s made hard work of it.  

I also recently borrowed my neighbours levers - which were for wagons and much longer than mine, and they’ve made it so much easier - so I’m going to buy some and am looking at making the whole thing easier and quicker without spending a fortune. 

22 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Snap. Make sure the Jack is under the chassis, not the end of the bumper if using the Landrover as the weight.

I have one of those round bar attachments on my highlight and that’s held by the holes in the front of my bumper - that way it can’t slip whilst it’s still leveraging the weight of the engine.

We had to admit defeat yesterday trying to get the tyres of a set of old Vogues. First 6 were not problem, but then the machine sprung a leak and didn't have enough force left to break the beads. So it can take quite a bit of effort. We'll try fixing the machine first, but it's good to have alternatives. I tried it under the press once, but that didn't go as well as hoped.  

I’m getting 2 of these: 

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637206714/940mm-tyre-lever---commercial

Though if you shop around they are available at half that price.

It’s still more than I’d have ever considered before using my neighbour’s levers - all good tools tend to pay you back though don’t they . 

• Like 1