Is this right? (V8)

OK, this is it for the day. One picture, one video. Hope the video works...

Pic. Got the front casing off and started to clean it up, and found that the aluminium around the crank bearing is crazed. It's pretty rough to touch and it looks almost as though the front of the casing has been whacked hard and pushed back in. It was aso clearly leaking oil through the bearing seal, but it may be that "they all do that" The crazing is inside as well, though not as obvious.

IMG_1644-3.thumb.jpg.a6eb79099482807cf70c49d07f612ffc.jpg

Next thing. There's fore and aft movement in the camshaft with the cover off, and a fair amount of slack in the camchain. I can't see how (if) that's tensioned so I don't know if it's an issue or not. But hopefully someone here does...

I have a video here: http://www.motorbikestoday.com/IMG_1643.MOV if that helps.

That crazing is quite common. It is caused by the die casting process, the mould itself being too cold for the molten metal, or so I was told years ago. Also can be caused by using recycled materials, which can have other things in the mix, and not using "virgin" materials.

That look like a vee belt engine, so fore and aft movement with the cover off is quite normal, as are leaking oil seals, once the wearing face on the pulley get a small groove in it. 

• Like 1

As above, the endfloat of the camshaft will be taken up by the load from the distributor drive.

I would replace the chain, as that does have some slack and there is no tensioner to adjust. Better replace while your in there, it can (will) make quite a difference to performance.

33 minutes ago, Escape said:

...I would replace the chain, as that does have some slack and there is no tensioner to adjust. Better replace while your in there...

Yeah, that was my initial thought, just didn't want to do it if it was completely unnecessary...

Didn't think about the performance side, but I guess it'll keep the valve timing more accurate so it makes sense.

Oh God... I thought my M5 was a money pit :(

I should have just bought the "Absolutely everything you'll never need" kit I looked at before - it was more than the whole engine cost me to buy but a sight cheaper than buying all this stuff piecemeal...

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

But it was mostly full of bargain basement scrap components.

Those packages only ever seem to benefit the supplier in putting together the cheapest components possible and charging a premium for nothing but convenience.

• Like 3

To be fair, the parts for a Rover V8 are not expensive, unless you go over the top. A standard cam will do just fine, a Piper or Crower high torque one is a bit more but worth the money.

But like others I am worried about the quality of more generic parts when buying new, not only the lifters but also things like the water pump, thermostat, hoses...