200TDI Refurbished Head - Corrosion

tommi

Hello all,

Looking for some collective guidance!

I have just purchased a refurbished 200TDI head from a reputable supplier. There is some corrosion around the waterways which concerns me - surely this is likely to lead to premature gasket failure? It extends beyond the red lines on the gasket (which I assume is where the actual seal is made). The head gasket has smaller “openings” where the corrosion is (circled in yellow). 

This is my first engine rebuild; am I right to be concerned, or is there a good explanation as to why this won’t cause any issues? 

Thanks!

C3880C22-7908-4409-9787-AEFFDD409A70.jpeg

BB42B6D1-9FDD-4A71-A925-7762C8004751.jpeg

4B54841C-69FB-413A-8E6B-AC5E6E765E25.jpeg

Whilst I would agree with Stellaghost regarding a JB weld repair, as I am sure it would work. If it were my own old head I would do it in a heartbeat.

However, I also agree with the others that you should not be doing this on a recon/remanufactured item, and it may well invalidate any warranty, so I should approach the supplier first.

• Like 1