Another Heater Upgrade Thread

I'm hoping my heater to bulkhead seal is OK because it was a b*****d to fit! 

But more on topic (though for a Tdi), I improved my heat output by fitting one of the allisport matrices - it can't actually be any 'hotter' obviously, as that's determined by the coolant itself, but as it's larger there's more of that heat to spare for the cabin.

I also fitted one of the LandReiziger heater controls to give much more..... control! 

Together those things made a big difference to comfort levels inside the car, and are still cheaper than the thing in the link. 

Sounds like expensive heater toys are a bit unnecessary based on the responses! Must get mine into shape over the summer before I freeze in winter again but thought the expensive box might be a shortcut to success. At the price they're asking it needs to be phenomenal before the spend makes any sense though.

I put a Defender heater into my 109 and it gets far too hot to keep on full blast even in sub zero conditions.  The trick is all about their condition.  I used caustic soda through the heater matrix to de scale the interior and flushed it through after a ten minute soak.  The rest of it was also stripped and cleaned out, then all rebuilt with new seals on the flaps, housing to bulkhead face and new hoses for the demisters.  I also ensured the lower fascia, which is the main distribution duct, had no leaks.  The result is a very effective heater, although it does take longer to heat the back end of a 109 or 110.  I can see the benefit of parking heaters for times you need warmth without driving - the standard Defender heater is efficient enough to overcool the engine when parked up and idling.  But if you aren’t frequently sitting in a parked car, it probably isn’t needed.

as my 110 in bits and the heater motor packed up years ago and i fitted a bilge fan in it's place i took the time to remove the fan and fit a blanking plug in it's place (i did consider a new fan but at 150 i decided to keep using the bilge fan
now it was apart i found the bilge fan fits nicely into the intake and can be sealed in place easily
the original intake pipe in the wing will still but up to it and seal against the heater

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That’s got to be the number one thing forgotten by the Facebook experts when heater discussions come up

My favourite is to make sure the heater is turned on when filling the cooling system and bleeding it 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

90,110 heaters don't have a coolant shutoff valve, they are full flow all the time, so when filling just take your time & squeeze the hoses to move the coolant about, never had any problems with my 110s heater having airlocks,