New stupid question - V8 bellhousing

The ratios are near enough the same. I'm currently running a disco V8 box on a disco 200tdi. I'm not sure what lt77 they fitted to V8 defenders all 4 cylinder upto 300tdi used the short bell housing lt77 (long gear stick). All discovery/rangie used used the long bell housing lt77 but the V8 and diesel use different input shafts and bell housings the rest of the box is near enough the same.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, I have a long bellhousing for the V8 and the box has the long input shaft. The problem is the shift selector which is apparently completely different on Defender vs Disco LT77s...despite them both being called the same thing.

3 hours ago, ped said:

can you not alter the seat box so you can use the disco gear stick,this was what i was going to do until i got the adapter to fit my defnder one

Um, I don't know. It looks like it'll come out somewhere around my hip which will make it a little awkward, but I suspect someone will come along shortly to say yea or nay...

I don't know how much of its true but a friend of mine who is normally very knowledgeable on these kinds of things says the LT77 and R380 are pretty much the same box. Might be worth posting up some photos of the back of the box (minus housing). I've not seen an LT77 up close but I've got an R380 with the top housing off I can get some photos for for reference. You may find the adapter kit works... 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I don't know how much of its true but a friend of mine who is normally very knowledgeable on these kinds of things says the LT77 and R380 are pretty much the same box. Might be worth posting up some photos of the back of the box (minus housing). I've not seen an LT77 up close but I've got an R380 with the top housing off I can get some photos for for reference. You may find the adapter kit works... 

That's actually a pretty good idea. Though at the same time if Dave Ashcroft is saying no I can't help thinking he probably knows his onions. But if I'm not giving up on the whole thing I'm certainly not giving up on this - I'll twirl some spanners in the next few days and get some pictures...

9 hours ago, Junglie said:

It may be worth a try...

As the gearchange mechanism is more or less the same, I can only think it will be the selector shaft diameter thats possibly different.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

As the gearchange mechanism is more or less the same, I can only think it will be the selector shaft diameter thats possibly different.

Dave Ashcroft says no. Unfortunately so does Shabs at Synchro...so I think it's a no.

Me being a skeptical kind of guy, I know they're meant to know their stuff but do they give a reason why?

I've no direct experience with Ashcrofts as apart from a transfer box everything came via Nige. My one experience with Shabs hasn't been the best (flywheel for a 1UZ didn't fit and he implied that my (bog standard) 1UZ had a different crank diameter... Wonder who's more likely to make a mistake, Toyota's CNC over tens, if not hundreds, of thousands parts, or someone who turns out a handful of conversion kits?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Me being a skeptical kind of guy, I know they're meant to know their stuff but do they give a reason why?

I've no direct experience with Ashcrofts as apart from a transfer box everything came via Nige. My one experience with Shabs hasn't been the best (flywheel for a 1UZ didn't fit and he implied that my (bog standard) 1UZ had a different crank diameter... Wonder who's more likely to make a mistake, Toyota's CNC over tens, if not hundreds, of thousands parts, or someone who turns out a handful of conversion kits?

So cynical for one so young... but it's valid.

Dave didn't say why, just that it won't work. Shabs said the back is "significantly different" Also spoke to a chap at R Whitehouse who said the oil pump is different, the selector is different and the best thing to do was buy a Land Cruiser...

I'd be more than willing to give it a shot, but the only way to do that is to throw another couple of hundred quid at it to get an adapter in the first place, and with a better than even chance of it not working that seems like a daft idea.

• Like 1

OK guys, I think I have a solution.

There's a chap on Ebay selling a refurbed R380 and LT230 with bellhousing and all linkages, levers etc, for a Defender V8. Refurb was done by R Whitehouse and it's got zero miles on it. It's not desperately cheap, but as I have a fully refurbed LT230 here plus a fully refurbed LT77 for a Disco I should be able to get a decent amount back and end up in a better place than I would have been.

Now. Anyone know a decent collection/delivery service from Sheffield to Croydon?

• Like 1

You can try but I don't think they can come down much on price from what I remember. I've normally just booked via their website.

Plus only Vince knows me, the lackeys in the office probably don't.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Junglie said:

There's a chap on Ebay selling a refurbed R380 and LT230 with bellhousing and all linkages, levers etc, for a Defender V8

There are more experienced eyes than mine looking at those pics, and I don't know Whitehouse, but you know what, if its been done properly that's all your problems solved right there. Stick it and go - the guy has good feedback rating. What could go wrong?

If you don't need the cooler takeoff you'd probably get £100 for that

Maybe just check with the seller for the box number so you can check against the Ashcroft gear ratio calculator as to what vehicle its from and what the gear ratios are likely to be

You could also try Shipley? A kind of reverse auction site for carriers.

Edited by Phill S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

This is true. Even the experts dont know, or have tried everything.

I am having a similar issue with a body panel for my van, the manufacturer is saying that mine is different to all the others, or it has had accident damage (which it hasn't)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Junglie said:

OK guys, I think I have a solution.

There's a chap on Ebay selling a refurbed R380 and LT230 with bellhousing and all linkages, levers etc, for a Defender V8. Refurb was done by R Whitehouse and it's got zero miles on it. It's not desperately cheap, but as I have a fully refurbed LT230 here plus a fully refurbed LT77 for a Disco I should be able to get a decent amount back and end up in a better place than I would have been.

Now. Anyone know a decent collection/delivery service from Sheffield to Croydon?

Don't believe it. My Brother in Law went to Huddersfield yesterday ! He would have collected it no problem. Dropped my non fitting engine adaptor kit back to Ashcrofts on the way up the M1 !

Thats got to be the way to go. If you can afford it. Eeek ! Should get a fair bit back on your existing one though, Unless you want to keep it "just in case"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Junglie said:

a fully refurbed LT77 for a Disco I should be able to get a decent amount back

@miketomcat how about a decent one for your collection? ;)

Also - yes, if you remove the cooler takeoff (you won't need it unless you're towing a trailer across the sahara) you can get a decent amount for it as people seem to LOVE them.

• Thanks 1