Cleaning a diff

Evening, I am changing my axle casing and have dissembled my old axle. The diff appears to be covered in a lot of one shot grease from the CV's. Any recommendations on how to clean it? The internet suggests brake or carb cleaner.... Or should I just not worry about it? I was planning on flushing with some old (but unused) ep90 after a few hundred miles.

Thanks

Jad

It won’t do any harm.  Wiping the bulk of it away with rags or tissue will be enough unless you are trying to avoid oil discolouration in order to spot other issues.  If you do want it cleaner, then petrol or diesel will do the job well and cheaper than brake cleaner, especially if you have some old stale fuel laying about that is otherwise unusable.

Morning, thanks for the suggestions. Not looking to diagnose or solve any issues. Was just quite surprised at how gloopy the diff was when it was removed. Given how thin ep90 is.... I don't do significant mileage just seemed  like a good idea to do while the axle is already in many pieces!

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

crikey! :o Does it change much with temperature? 

No idea, I've never stuck my finger in it when it's hot!

I spoke to them about it some time ago, they've formulated it specifically for folks like us - it's a modern fully synthetic oil but without the additive that harms old yellow metal bushings. I'm running it in the ambulance because of the overdrive and it seems happy enough so far.

• Like 1

Just for reference:

https://www.smithandallan.com/product/smith-allan-geartech-mtf-90-manual-transmission-fluid-4069

Geartech MTF-90 is a premium quality, fully synthetic gear oil that has been formulated to achieve top performance protection and shifting in manual transmissions. The product exhibits exceptional cold flow characteristics, eliminating difficult shifting and offering ultimate protection at cold starts. The high quality formulation ensures excellent thermal and oxidative stability, protection from rust and corrosion, as well as outstanding wear control offering long synchro life.
The advanced technology additive package allows for use in the latest technology configurations as well as been safe with brass materials. The appropriate frictional properties of the fluid allow synchronizer rings to engage easily.

Just checked - it's £6/litre while Halfords want £12/litre for regular old EP90 :o

• Haha 1

EP90 does become a lot less viscous when hot - it is too viscous at very low temperatures and that is one of the reasons that LR specified W75 on later models, along with the difficulty in finding EP90 in many places.  So, cold comparison doesn’t really matter.  My concern about substitutes would be the lack of sulphur and other “EP” additives - it’s not just the viscosity that matters.  I tried synthetic W75 in my 109’s gear box, transfer box and Roverdrive, and though it tolerated the heat better (the reason for my test), it didn’t provide the level of protection the regular mineral EP90 gives and you could really hear the difference; the W75 was significantly louder and shriller.  I think also related to that test was the sudden appearance of some play between the outer ring gear and the output shaft “plate” on the Roverdrive, where the teeth had been nice and snug before.  I’d consider using a synthetic EP90 if it has the correct additives, but I’ll never use W75 in my 109 or RR again, even though LR specified it on the same type diffs on the TDCIs.