Boomslang wiring harness relay

I had an issue with the low beam not working and found the fault to be corroded pins on the Boomslang relay. I would like to replace this relay but can't match the code on it anywhere, are all 5 pin relays the same. Halfords sell one which has the same pin diagram on it apart from the 85 and 86 pins swapped and a picture of a diode between them which my relay doesn't show.

There are two common pinouts for the common ISO Mini 5 pin relay. One has 85 & 86 on opposite sides (Type B), the other has 30 & 85 as the 'single' terminals on opposite sides (Type A).

Were you looking at the bottom of the relay, or at a printed diagram? A diagram might be drawn as viewed from above or below, and for a Type B, this would look like 85 & 86 were swapped. It sounds obvious but I've seen (and made) this mistake a few times.

Either way it won't matter, terminals 85 and 86 are the coil, so the important thing is that the relay is wired so the diode is NOT conducting (it is there to protect the rest of the car from any spikes created by the relay when it switches off).

That should be with 85 connected to ground and 86 to 12V when 'ON', but it depends on both the relay pinout being right, and on Boomslang wiring their harness the right way around.

Personally I'd avoid buying relays (or just about anything else) at Halfords, it only encourages them. Any half decent motor factors will match the relay for you in 10 seconds.

Or you could put your mind at rest by using Halfords 'We Fit' service... :o

wefit.jpg.163e74c26435321cb0b93952ce908045.jpg

(Sorry, that pic never gets old!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

you can also rewire your fusebox to get the same result ,  my lighstalk now triggers a relay in the fusebox and using the original wires the relay feeds the lights . for both dip and main beam.

• Like 2

Why is nothing simple and easy with a Land Rover ☹️. Changed the relays and all works except for the passenger side low beam, put the old relays back in and same issue. Pulled off the headlight bulb connector and there is 12v going to the low beam spade terminal in the connector when low beam is selected but when the bulb is inserted into the connector the voltage measures 0v. How is this possible ?. I have checked the bulb on a battery and both low and high beam filaments work.

Sounds like you have a high resistance in the feed wire to your headlamp low beam - check all the way down especially any connectors. 

12V will be there until a current is drawn, at which point the resistance means there's nothing to read any more.... 

Check one of the terminals hasn't backed out of the connector when you plugged in the new relay.

You said you were changing the relay because the terminals were corroded. Sounds like you didn't clean the wiring side completely, or the terminals have loosened due to heat.

I had also replaced the plastic sockets which the relays plug into and cleaned up the spade sockets on the end of the wires before pushing back in. The strange thing is that the low beam wires for both headlights are soldered together and come out of the same terminal so odd that only one was working. However pulled all connectors to the lights apart once again to cleaned and now both headlights are working again 😁

• Like 1