Defender parts in the EU?

roamingyak

57 minutes ago, roamingyak said:

Thanks, but I'm not after a UK based company that ships worldwide.
Asking if there are any good suppliers that are based in the EU 🙂

why would you go with a EU based company , they order the parts from the same UK firms .... LR direct , and some others handle the import duty's for you ...

i'm based in the netherlands , and order trough LR direct , and that's what i pay , no extra shipping or VAT trouble's . and a lot cheaper as ordering in the netherlands .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hurbie said:

why would you go with a EU based company , they order the parts from the same UK firms .... LR direct , and some others handle the import duty's for you ...

i'm based in the netherlands , and order trough LR direct , and that's what i pay , no extra shipping or VAT trouble's . and a lot cheaper as ordering in the netherlands .

Probably due to the massive import duty most EU customers have to pay on delivery when buying from the UK since Brexit. Some countries it's up round the 30% mark.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

Answers in the original post mate.
Seeing if there are any options that have quicker/cheaper shipping. Quoted as taking 8-10 days from the UK at the moment, and it does take that long.
Seeing if there is a better option...

Thanks, Darrin
https://www.youtube.com/@roamingyak

I live in France, and in the past I have had parts for our Discovery 1 from the Uk, from Paddocks for one, but recently when I wanted two shock absorbers I found the transport costs had increased greatly. It was cheaper and quicker to have them from a company called "Best of Land", in France. It is the first time I have used them, but it seemed to go well.

• Like 1

Also in France.

I find that the prices from the French suppliers are about the same as the UK prices PLUS the now more-expensive delivery and import costs.  And the delivery times have increased and are not predictable.

I have used Landers Shop a few times.  Last week I ordered parts at 11:30, and had them at 12:00 the following day (and I didn't pay for the express delivery).  Not sure if there are any equivalents in Portugal.

• Like 1

LRDirect have a good way of dealing with VAT and import costs, so I continue to use them. I do have the advantage of ordering as a business, might be different for private customers. I know Rimmer Bros offer the same for private customers.

I have ordered from France shortly after Brexit (until the regular suppliers got things sorted), but that didn't go well. As above, they have very limited stock so order most from UK anyway, adding to delays and you still pay for the import costs. I wont use them anymore.

I do have good experiences with a Belgian company, British LandRover Parts. Their range is not that extensive, but prices are reasonable and shipping is very fast (in Belgium at least).

• Like 1

I will answer your question with the dutch suppliers I used to use.

Vis land rovers has almost anything:

https://www.vislandrovers.nl/

Budget parts, as the name says try to undercut the above and others, but be careful with quality:

https://www.budget-parts.nl/

No experience with these people, but I know of others who have used them:

https://jansenlaroparts.nl/

Regards, Daan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Daan said:

No experience with these people, but I know of others who have used them:

https://jansenlaroparts.nl/

Jansen once fitted a starter motor for me at 5am on a Monday morning in their workshop, when they (and I) had been driving all night from Germany. :D

A bit random as recommendations go, but service like that deserves a mention :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 4

I get most of my parts from Island 4x4 in the UK. Last order I spent £300 on an order, shipping was plus £35. UK VAT is not charged, when I receive the parcel I pay 18% local VAT plus €13 processing fee. No duty as parts were UK origin. I tried finding EU based shops, couldn't find lower prices than UK based shops.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Darrin, Discovery 1 owner in Portugal. I appreciate you probably have already sorted your query, but if not (or for the next time something goes wrong), Pecas Land Rover are excellent.

They do next day delivery, you can ring them on the phone and all speak v good English. I even found my mechanic through them - they looked through their records to see who ordered the most parts in my area, then put us in touch.

There is also Land Expert in Braga, they have an actual shop and semi decent parts availability - good if you live nearby. Otherwise, use facebook marketplace and OLX for 2nd hand bits, and Jansen Laro if you need a lot of stuff. The Portuguese guy who works for Jansen Laro speaks a bit of English and is legit.